Relapses

ruby

Hi everyone.... I have a question about relapses. My daughter has been doing well on med for PTS (Florinef and Prozac) and last week was a total ball of energy, senior in high school, working at night etc. Then she got a mild cold, which resolved and now has been down for the count for 5 days. She looks just like she did when she first got sick. Listless, can't tolerate being upright for long etc. Her pulse and BP are low, but she still shoots up 30-40 beats when she stands. Anyway, her original onset was after a viral illness, and I am wondering if this might have something to do with her relapse. (I am in the medical biz myself.) So am wondering if the original onset was after a virus, maybe any viral illness might cause a relapse - as in - maybe there is an inappropriate auto-immune response... Does anyone have similar experiences or thoughts or research on this? It breaks my heart to see her down again. I guess my other question is how many of you with POTS have unexplained relapses - how often? Maybe this is just something we need to get used to?

Thanks so much.... I am in San Diego FYI.

Ruby :lol:

I hope she feels better soon.

I think most of us relapse and crash worse when we are sick with cold, allergy, flu etc etc so I don't think it's uncommon.

I don't know what might help her though except to rest a lot and tell her to listen to her body, drink extra fluids and maybe have electrolytes checked.

Yeh this is pretty common. It has taken me about 5 years to not have a flu knock me out for month (now it only knocks me for about 10 days ... still more than average).

I too got OI post viral. Originally my ANA and T cells were down however over time they picked up. I dont have any scientific info (or much understanding of it) unfortuantely. Hopefully someone else more knowledgeable on this forum will be able to fill you in

Im sorry that i cant give you hints on how to maker her feel better, i too can only think of rest and maybe making sure she lies upright and moves a bit so she tries to stop hypotension setting in further.

Best of luck!

Ruby, most folks here will tell you "me too." In generaly I take at least twice as long to get over a minor illness...and even longer for a major illness. All my autonomic sytmptoms always flare up when I'mm ill or getting ill...I see it as my body's thermometer, giving me a little heads up that something's in the works.

Rest and more rest is all that seems to help me.

Nina

Without a doubt. My cardiologist has even stated point blank that the least little illness will knock me down for weeks so be very careful about getting any type of viral infection. Bacterial infections can at least be treated with antibiotics but viral stuff stinks because most of the OTC for it we can't take!!! Wash hands, wash hands, wash hands (think Lady MacBeth...).

Carmen

Yep, absolutely. She is completely "normal" (at least in -our- world!) :)

Sorry this is such a hard time, but she will recover... viral illnesses attack our bodies in ways that 'normal people' could never understand. My healthy friends get sick with a virus or whatever is 'going around' at the time and they think they are dying for like 48 hours. I catch the same thing they had and I'm down and out for 2 weeks or 3 months, depending on my health -before- the virus got me, and how strong the virus is.

The best thing I can suggest is don't go back to school or start up with major activities until she -knows- she feels strong enough. If I push my body too hard and try to 'recover' before my body is actually 'recovered' then I'll have major regrets.. she will probably be lengthening her recovery time if she gets back to activities too quickly.

Best wishes to you... keep us posted on how things are going!

Ditto what everyone else said. And in addition, I have had an Insulin Tolerance Test given by my endocrinologist which showed that I have a poor response to stressors. Translation, according to the endo, is that when I'm sick I may need additional hydrocortisone since illness is a "stressor".

That certainly explains why it takes me a very long time to recover from any bad bout of illness.

For the first time in my life a common cold has kicked me to the ground. I had a cold bad for about 3 days, whenever i stood i felt dizz and my HR often shot up when i stood up. I constantly felt ill and found it hard to do anything.

7 Days later and here i am, got the sniffles, ive had a sore throat for 3 days, i think my immune system has crashed so im staying away from people with colds, so i dont get it again, lol.