Will flying make POTS worse?

calypso

Does anyone know if POTS gets worse when you fly? We are supposed to go on vacation next month and I'm hoping it won't make my shortness of breath worse or something.

Some people do report a worsening of symptoms. This may be especially the case if you have low blood volume because flying can lead to dehydration. In general, most folks feel icky when dehydrated--add POTS to that and you may feel even worse.

All that being said, here's my real life experience. For more than 5 years, I flew for work every 8 to 10 weeks. I seem to do okay with flying as long as I drink enough fluids and get plenty of rest before and after. If I don't get to nap after a flight, I find that I tend to get really symptomatic and also tend to pick up whatever illesses are floating about...colds, stomach bugs, etc.

Nina ;)

Edited by MightyMouse

I've had mixed experiences with flying from ok to just horrible. Flying can bring on the worst muscle spasms everywhere, nausea, tachycardia and blood pressure swings. Don't let me scare you because these are symptoms I normally have. It's just they can be very intensified.

Just drink plenty of fluid and salts for a couple of days before you fly - hydrate well! Take gatorade with you on the plane.

Don't let this illness keep you from doing things if and when you can help it.

steph

I flew from Sydney to L.A. I really long flight. The symptoms that were

worse for me were fatigue, tachycardia and a some difficulty in breathing. At the time I didn't know about staying hydrated with salt and water. It might have been easier on me if I had.

I have had mixed results as well. Tend to be more tired than my friends and family but also try to make time for some down time to rest. I also find gatorade is helpful to bring along. Only had one plane trip that resulted in my passing out, great welcome home!! And then a bit Potsy after that trip but most I do fine with. I don't let the chance of having a 'spell' keep me from flying. Good luck!!

B) Hi! I flew last year and it was not a good experience. The altitude really made me feel bad. I have very low blood volume and was on one of the smaller jets. I got tachy and sick but there was no where to go. Don't know how it would be on a larger jet but I will not fly again unless I have too. Hope your experience is better than mine. Each of us are so different!

Cathy