What do you do?

JaneEyre9

I'm a student. I'm a junior at the University of Colorado studying Italian Language and Literature. I'm studying abroad this year in England (this autumn) and Italy (spring for an immersion program); I had been planning to study abroad in college all along, and my mom says I'm too bullheaded not to. It's harder than it has been before (I've done it twice already), though. I requested a room in a quiet area on the ground floor, and lo and behold I'm in a normal area on the third floor. I haven't even had the energy to unpack yet. (I got back on Sunday). Last night the people on my floor felt it necessary to have an all-night drunk talk-a-thon in the room next door from 2 am until 5 am, despite my begging and pleading. If we actually had classes this week, I don't know what I would have done. I shouldn't have to reveal my medical history just to be allowed to have a good night's sleep, right? This is why I haven't lived in dorms in a long time! I've requested accomodations from the Disabilities Office, but I don't have a 504 plan at home (yet, I will next year), and it'll probably have to be worked out with the profs.

All I've had to eat in the past 3 days is juice, so I think I need to go grocery shopping. Tesco delivers, but you have to have an actual address, not just a room number in a college. I should have tried to petition to be allowed to live off-campus.

I was majoring in International Affairs as well, but in order to graduate somewhat ontime, I would have to take 6 classes/ semester, and I tried that last spring and it didn't go well.

I've never wanted a desk job- I always picture something out of Officespace... but I think the best choice for me will be a study abroad administrator or teacher.

I wanted to join the Peace Corps since I was 15, but there's no way I'll get medical clearance, so I might try teaching English abroad for a few years after I graduate. (I've also been planning to live in Italy since I was 17, and I will definitely do that.)

I drive a paper route to bring a little extra cash, delivery the papers to a paper box at the ends of driveways. Takes about 1 1/2 hours a day.

But mostly I'm a stay at home mom taking care of three children. Love it!

I have been home for about 6 years. Before that I was working in the office of a car dealership. And having way to much stress!

Between driving my son to preschool, try to get as much house work done as I can, play with the kids, take care of the kids and the husband. :)

Thanks Kristen!

It's been neat hearing about everyone and what they do and what their hobbies are!!! :(

I just wanted to say something about making and sending cards. I have always loved to write and send notes to people. I don't do as much of it now because of energy level. One thing I've learned from my own experience though is how much we take for granted. I realize that sometimes it's the "little things" that really can be a "big thing". We have people at church, I have relatives who are sick or in Nursing homes and they WANT to send cards...birthday cards to their grandchildren, nieces etc. but they are often on tight budgets and there is no spare $ for buying cards, stamps can get expensive and they can't get out to buy them. So, It makes me feel good to stamp some cards, make them more personable for them and give them a small basket of them with a few stamps and then they can send cards out to their loved ones.

I have an Aunt who is in assisted living who is on very limited income and can't get out so I decided for Christmas I am making her a basket of cards she can send to all her relatives as she needs to. We have a large family so she needs lots of cards and it's something I can do that will fit my budget as well. She gets really depressed when she can't send someone a birthday card because she can't get out to go get one and then she feels bad because she can't afford to call long distance and wish them well either. I really hope this will help her out a little!

Ok...sorry to go off on this tangent.

I have a desk job in a high stress area of the Hospital. The job is very demanding but I live on adrenaline- so I love it. I have a BA in English (pre-pots), MBA in International Business (pre-pots) and an MBA in Health Care Administration (with pots). For all of those who are trying to go to school while having Pots, hang in there!! I feel your pain! I have always worked full time + and going to grad school on top of that was certainly not a picnic. I had to give up my extensive social life (ha!) among other things, but stick with it! It can be done!!

Guest Finrussak

WOW you guys are still doing so many impressive things...I guess for now Im in the same boat as "Pooh"; trying just to live to the end of each day...juggling Drs and sx and my son etc. Having health aides in 4 days per week...My phone is my only source of productivity ( and often aggravation too) what with calls from my older kids ( now 20 and 22)needing advice, friends asking my opinion about school or health issues... and my energy so little,I am grateful if I can get dinner on a plate for me and my son...thats my day's success! compared to where I was a short time ago....

Pre Lyme but with POTS I had 3 kids, while finishing grad schools...taught college level science, got to EBD (everything but dissertation) of a PhD in Developmental Bio (embryology) while growing organic food (enuf veggy for almost all winter) on 1/3 acrea, cooking and crafts,and enjoying my kids....then the Lyme plus POTS plus the 3 kids etc all caused a big crash. Brain damage made it impossible to drive which severely limited me. Then I rallied a bit and retrained so that I was consulting at various schools evaluating science programs, writing curricula and training teachers (mostly k-8).I even took part in upgrading the state's standards for science!! It was hard with the transportation issues but my friends all were so sweet about it ( no taxi service in rural suburbia)...I also rose within a women's group to state director and managed with 1 other woman a food pantry for 80 families every month. And I was active within my synogogue community...the 2 older kids were attending the Hebrew Day School ( like parochial school) so involvement was more or less expected there as well. And the side business of decorating cakes for special events and small time catering took up my evenings not out at meetings.

Then I had to leave my husband (loong story) and moved about 1.5 hrs away; with kids aged 9, 13, 15 and still maintained volunteer activities and helped within my kids' classrooms, but professionally I coulndt guarantee enough hours uprigth and had to forgo consulting contracts.Plus I still cannot drive...which makes it harder.

The past 3 years unfortunately have been downhill. For past 2 of those I have been nearly bedbound and housebound...uncontrolled relapse of tick crap, plus worse POTS and OI plus dealing with my youngest..my son now 16 and he for 2 years has been so ill he cant go to school and past 3 months cant even have tutors at home...so going to his and my Dr appts and keeping track of his and my drugs and our sx...and calls to the school explaining again why he is NOT "truant" just ILL...its a hobby I would like to drop!!!

I wasnt even allowed to go to my older son's grad at Northeastern Univ this past May....but I hope I can get to OHIO this May for my daughter's grad from Miami!!!

When able I still return to organic gardening ( tho now my townhome leaves me about 24 sq inches of soil), do all sorts of handwork---knit, crochet, draw, paint, etc,

I used to enjoy home repair like plumbing and carpentry...I still have a bench out front I made like 15 years ago...but that is way too much for me now...

So, every day I wake with a prayer that when I look at the clock it wont be just 20 or 30 minutes later, and that I can be well enuf to take care of my son once the aides leave...and when night falls, I am grateful for that 10 minutes I can stand to get that dinner on his plate!!!

Thanks Evie!

I'm really impressed with your attitude and persistence in getting your education.  I have always wanted to do that mystery shopper thing.  Let me know how it goes, and maybe i'll give it a shot :lol:

Right now, i'm on a break from grad school.  POTS has been lurking the past year or two (though i didn't know i had it), and i've just pushed through it, but it finally knocked me down completely this summer.  I haven't been back to work (or school) since.  Right now i'm just trying to figure out if it's feasible to keep going, or if i should just figure out a way to earn money from home.  (Not a bad thing at all...sounding more and more appealing lately)  :lol:

Thanks for your reply...  i think it is great to be in academics.  I'm a lifetime student in my heart, so i understand :lol:

Kristen

Thankyou kristen ... thats a sweet thing to say :lol: I hope you manage to get back to school in time, or that you work out whatever is best for you. Money is such a stress grrrrr ;)

BTW for all those who think i may appear super active... you are just seeing me at the end (or hopeful end) to a long bumpy road. It did take me 4 years to do a one year course and its taken me a year and a half to do first year of uni, so i by no means want it to look like im crusing through while being ill (not saying that you think im crusing ... i just remember when i was bedridden and id read about people doing all this stuff and id think heck how did they manage that?).

I hope you are able to go to your daughters graduation Finrussak! i will cross my fingers for you :lol:

hi, i love this thread.

i am at college part time at the moment studying nvq in i.t. just finiished my ecdl, i'm hoping to set up some kind of charity with my new found i.t skills although i'm still finding it quite difficult to get to college everyday. i love knitting, i took it up last year after i lost my job as i could only really move my hands without getting too tired.

in my previous life i was an admin assistant, which is kind of one of the reasons i found out i had pots, my office was always too hot (in the 30's) and i'd regularly headbutt the computer or fall off my chair whilst eating lunch i don't think i could go back to another office job yet even after a year and a half that company scarred me!

hopefully when i get a bit better i'm going to set up a group for teenagers with mental health problems, just make sure none of them have germs!

becks x x x