chest pain

Hi guys. Do you get chest pain when exercising? I get constant waves of chest pain that is wide spread throughout the chest region when I do the exercise bike. I am supposed to do 45 min :D -cannot see it happening!! I do about 20 min. But I start and stop. It is pitiful. But the chest pain bothers me. A lot. The strange thing about POTS is that many symptoms point to heart attack. I have been worked up and had the stress test (the one where they just give you meds to speed it up-not the treadmill.) But still with all that chest pain-you wonder. Just curious if this is typical POTS. Hope you guys have a good weekend. JenniferTX-I wish it would get cool-still 100 days! Tomorrow is supposed to be better.

I sometimes get chest pain especially if I do too much.

Have you tried maybe doing short periods of exercise? I wonder if you did 10 minutes if you would still have pain? Maybe you could try different time increments and see if that makes a difference....if so you could slowly work up to 40.

My other thought is your heart may be working okay but maybe you're not getting enough oxygen. Have you ever had any pulmonary testing done to rule things out in that capacity?

I would definately mention this to your Dr and see what they say about it.

TTFN,

Poohbear

PS--Still really hot here too---upper 90's but very high humidity so it feels over 100

I hate it when at 11 & 12pm it's still in the upper 80's--doesn't even cool off at night. UGGGHHH. I'm so ready for Fall and Winter!!

I get chest pain at times with exertion. Tried to use my nordic track for the first time (since I got sick) this week and had to stop due to chest pain, dizziness, tachycardia...stopped briefly until it went away and then I resumed. Had to slow down or stop many times but I got through 30 minutes! I am doing it at below the lowest level. Before I got sick, I was excelling at its 3rd level 30 mins, sometimes twice a day. But I intend to keep trying, and gradually improve!

:) My chest pain was so severe last year when I was exercising, before I was diagnosed with POTS, that I was hospitalized and had the treadmill stress test, heart monitoring etc etc. All tests were negative. When I finally had a positive tilt table test and was diagnosed with POTS my doctor explained that chest pain was common in people with the disorder and might be present during exercise or at rest. My pain tends to come and go with seemingly no reason. As with a lot of POTS symptoms, you just have to do what you can do when you can do it. I find it very difficult to resign myself to that reality having been a very active person all my life. However, on the positive side, if the chest pains are POTS related, the literature I have read says that they are not related to or prescient of a serious heart problem.

India

Yes- I get this. No one knows why. It's been postulated that sudden changes in rate can cause chest wall pain.

I got rushed into hospital last month because my chest got so sore my gp thought it might be angina. My TNI was raised slightly (from 0.03 to 0.05) but no one ever bothered to get to the bottom of why this was happening. It was terrifying.

Yesterday I had a bout of pain in the left side that seemed to be accompanied by PVCs (well, it's the same as I felt when I had PVCs on a monitor- that kind of jumped/shocked out feeling) and every time my heart beat, I felt the sharpness in my chest and my left shoulder. Anyone know what the heck the shoulder thing's all about?

:)

Thanks guys. I have not had pulmonary testing. Would this show if the muscles were not getting enough oxygen? They pretty much ruled out heart attack, Autoimmune, and found out quickly it was pots, because I kept bugging them. So I did not have a whole lot of testing-just cleared by neuro and internist. JenniferTX

Hi Jennifer!

Pulmonary testing could possibly show, indirectly what may be causing your pain but then again, it could be more testing that is "negative" which would at least ease your mind.

My pulmonary testing showed I have problems while exercising and I don't get enough oxygen yet my heart looks good on testing. I don't have typical asthma symptoms but I do have some wheezing with exercise.

For me, the remedy is exercising more slowly and using inhalers if needed (although I try to stay away from them as they increase my heart rate so much).

CP while excerisising is quite a familar friend here to. Its my clue to slow down,sitdowm and drink water. Check your puls and monitor your symptoms. You are never to yung for a heartattack. THats how my pots was diagnosed. I kept passing out, 9mos of "chest wall pain" a echo fpr Pulomonary Hypotension(while recovering from Pulmonary embolisms) and all they could find was murmurs and regurgatation. After all of that the passing out became less freuuent for about 6mos then stared p again. My hemo doc said low pottasium and sent me straight to the hospital for tests. After 2 or three differnt tests and a heart monitor placed I began to feel tired and alittle off in the heartbeat area. I wa washing my face and became a little more coherent about 6 hrs later in the Cardiac ICU. The tachy and arrythmias either caused or were a inferior MI and my cardiac enzymes confirmed it. The said it was a electrolyte/hypovalemia problem that started it. I passed my first TTT, which they stupidly did while I was out of it on ATIVAN. the dosage was so high I can't rememberthe12 days in the hiospital except the day I got there and the ride home.

12 hrs or so later I was back on the floor of my kitchen and then back to the hospital. The next TTT was failed severly and ta da! Here we are.

My question is what to do/expect about the pain and heaviness in the chest after a little escersise. I mowed the back yard Thursday and was deeling with CP and lef tiredness Fri. Sat I did the front yard and its the same but worse. Hopefully I will remember to bring this up tommorow at the docs. Be careful! Pam 32yrs old