Cramps/Pain In Arms, Legs, Wrists

I get a lot of muscle spasms pretty much everywhere in my body, but especially in my shoulders, neck, and back. I am not sure if that is what you mean by muscle cramps, but I just found some amazing essential oils that are really helping. I combine lemongrass and wintergreen with a base oil (that way it will last longer because I use it a lot) and I put it in a roller ball container (think roll on deodarant container, but smaller) and just apply it to the affected area. Wintergreen helps with muscle pain and lemongrass helps with muscle pain, but also with connective tissue which is good for me because I have EDS. Then my massage therapist just introduced me to tigerbalm today and I love it. It has a combo of essential oils like cammomile, wintergreen, menthol, etc. to help with muscle and bone pain. It comes in a balm or an oil. I got the oil just because it is easier to apply. Then after I apply it if I am somewhere where I can do this I apply moist heat right on the area I just put the oil on and then I ice it. You can get essential oils at many health food stores. You may want to try something like that and then some easy stretching to see if that gives you any relief. You may want to ask your doc first to see if that's okay! Good luck!

Jaime

I get them all the time and just found out I have pretty low potassium most of the time. Now that I am on potassium supplements, for the last 10 days or so, it has been a lot better. Cramping is pretty common in MS isn't it/ I don't really know a lot about it. More about the balance issues and visual and fatigue and weakness. But low potassium can also exacerbate weakness. If you can get your doc to do a simple set of electrolytes, you can find out. morgan

Yes I have been dealing with Muscle spasms and cramps for around 3 years now. But if you read my post under neurologist you'll see how unsuccessful I was trying to get help from an expert about it.

I've been told to take magnesium, calcium, drink more fluid and stretch my muscles before bed. Beyond that I was told thousands of people suffer muscle spasms and there isn't any answer for it, "just live with it" in my neurologists words!

Ok, I'm obviously angry from the neuro appt yesterday and I'm not being any help here.

I can tell you that they are worse in my feet, calves, hands, back and since last week now I get them in the left side of my chest. I can spasm for so many days that my muscles start to swell.

ok that's my rant, sorry. I should've waited to cool down from stupid doctor appt.

take care

steph

muscle spams are a daily thing for me also. i have tried everything from more potassium to assorted muscle relaxers to a few herbs which made me sick as a dog. i have settled on a combo of generic Soma at 350mgs(as needed) and a banana every day. i am also a religous stretcher, every day 3-4 times a day. does it help? yes. do i feel worse if i don't? YES! but this works for me and i can't say it will work of anyone else.

best of luck,

blackwolf

Hi all,

Pooh - I am still waiting on my thyroid test. And yeah I wonder if I'm not getting enough potassium.

Jamie - Great ideas for the oils. I'll definitely find them at my Natural Foods store.

Morgan - I'll have to get my potassium checked. And my MS doctor the other day things it might be from the MS, either that or the phlebitis. But doesn't want to put me on another drug just yet.

Rita - Tonic water, eh? Hey it's worth a shot. I get the tingling as well.

Briarrose - I hate when people say, "live with it." I'm a fighter I don't want to give up. Sorry that nothing seems to help.

blackwolf - I also eat a banana every day. I'll keep doing the stretching. Thanks. :(

My ex husband had a chiari malformation and started having very bad pains in extremities...mainly right arm. He had tests ran to find out that the malformation had caused Syringomyelia. This is where a pocket of fluid forms behind the spinal cord due to the blockage of passway that the chiari causes. You may want to look into this.

I do have leg cramps, I think they might be "charlie horses" but I'm not really sure. They are the cramps in the muscle behind the shins and they are EXCRUCIATING. I always get them in bed, usually I will wake up with them. It takes about 2 minutes, but I flex my feet and work the muscle out... the pain eventually dissipates, with some soreness afterwards.

I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about (I think a lot of people get "charlie horses" but I'm not sure), or if you mean general pain. I get deep throbbing pain in my bones, I have had it in my shins many times. They will make me collapse on the floor, the pain is so deep. It feels as if my shin bones are going to break in half. No doctor has been able to figure this one out... I usually take Darvocet to help the pain. I also get that same pain in my forearm. It's very unusual, very intense, very.. weird.

So, that's my experience. I'm not sure what you mean, so I don't know if I've been helpful, but just thought I would share!