Headaches during menses

I have the most debilitating headache during my period. It is a neuralgia--the nerve that runs behind my left ear, above my left ear into my temple and in the back of my eye. I have had this kind of headaches since my POTS began and took huge doses of Neurontin for 18 months which I tapered off this past December (I don't feel near as tired or fatigued as I did while on the Neurontin). I react to NSAID's so have been stuck with aspirin and tylenol to try to deal with it. The only thing that makes it feel better is to lie down and fall sleep. Does anyone else have this phenomena and if so how do you deal with it or what med do you take?

That sounds like PMDD which is a question for your gyno...how about your moods? are they out of whack also? call the gyno and tell them because they have new meds for this syndrome (mostly antidepressants believe it or not ) the headache and bad cramps seem to go away with this treatment not sure why but it helped me! I had this long before POTS but i guess it could be related as I dont really know what my onset was!

Thanks for answering. I tried Zoloft, Paxil, and Prozac and had terrible reactions to them all. Yes, my moods are definitely worse at this time. I am taking Xanax as well but it doesn't do anything for this kind of headache. I also tried Alesse and prometrium 2 years ago and almost had a stroke both times.

I used to get migraines every month with my cycle. Several things worked well for me. First: Nasal DHE if the headache hasn't responded to other things (I can't take NSAIDS).

First line of defense: prophylactic doses of Amerge (like Imitrex, but less side effects) just before my period.

Also, keeping on a consistent sleep cycle seemed to be one of my keys. Nina