Allergy Relief???

Roy

Is there anything I can take for my allergies that won't worsen my POTS symptoms? I have had POTS for 2 years now and my allergies have never been as bad as this so I have never had to worry about taking anything. I asked my allergist, but he isn't sure what to make me. My EP who really isn't a POTS expert has a gung ho just go ahead and see what happens approach about taking antihistamines. Since it's my health I would rather not.

Any suggestions?

Roy

Not sure what to tell you here. My allergies are tolerable and when I can't stand it I take half a benadryl at bedtime 12.5 mg. that usually seems to relieve me of my symptoms enough.

I would find a good allergist that possibly knows about dysautonomia. I know the one that I take my children to is very knowledgeable.

Steph

There are several non-antihistamine treatments. First I would suggest working with an allergist.

Here's the portion of my allergy regimen that doesn't seem to cause me any side effects:

Singulair, Advair and Flonase (I also take zyrtec and benedryl, but those may make you sleepy and/or bring your bp up or down).

A completely safe treatment is to rinse your sinuses with saline. I use a kit by NeilMed. If you want more info, I'll post a link. My allergist wont even consider writing a prescription if you aren't rinsing first--the saline will wash allergens out of your nasal passages. It's considered to be one of the first lines of treatment by the places the specialize in treating persistent sinus problems and infections.

Nina :)

I'd like the link for the saline kit please?! My allergies are a pain and I cant tolerate ANY antihistamines, never could!! When I get real desperate I take half of my 11 yr old daughters zyrtec which is still enough to wipe me out for the day and trigger POTS symptoms! Of course allergies wear your body down enough to be a trigger by themselves....but then again what isn't a trigger? :)

Deanna

This is where I buy from. THere are other places also:

http://www.neilmed.com/

It happens to be the brand my doctor recommends. I've also used another brand, called SaltAire. YOu can get it here: http://www.natlallergy.com

in my opinion, the SaltAire had a funny after-sensation, smell/taste? Anyway, I like the NielMed better for me.

Also, try bathing/showering before bed to get allergens out of your hair and away from your face while you sleep. That is especially important if you use hair products like gel, mousse, spray etc, because it makes your hair sticky and holds more pollen or other airborn irritants. Wash your pillowcase often.

Nina :)

Roy,

I am also a fan of Singulair and also Flonase/or/Nasonex. I also did fine with Zyrtec or even Benadryll -- But just take these at night!

Hope this helps!

Lisa

Roy, I have the same issue with allergies. Tried Flonase but couldn't tolerate so my doctor gave me Allegra. You are supposed to take twice a day but I have found I can take 1 pill without triggering POTS symptoms. Also, while some get sleepy, I find if I take Allegra at night, I am awake all night! I usually take it when I wake up congested about 6:30 and then it makes me sleepy...hard to explain why.

Good luck finding something for you. I read somewhere that it is very important for those with POTS to treat allergies at the very first sign. Untreated, the allergies alone worsen POTS symptoms.

I take 10mg of Zyrtec at night before bed daily. The regular Zyrtec is fine, but the Zyrtec-D contains pseudophed which as we all know send the heart and BP into overdrive <_< Keep in mind, most antihistamines need to be taken for at least 5 consecutive days before you see any real improvement.

Thanks for all the replies. My allergies finally cleared up on their own. These pine trees with all their yellow pollen was really getting to me. Luckily 2 days of wind have blown alot of it away. Now I'm back to my normal POTSy self.