Moving?

luckygoat3

hey all,

I am looking into nanny jobs and also colleges, i want out of Ohio for various reasons, just wondering where would be good to go for a POTS patient? I found a college in Indiana I like and Minnasota (sp). I need to work in any state i move to for a year to get "in state" tutition.

anyways any imput would be greatly appreciated.

susie

Guest Finrussak
hey all,

I am looking into nanny jobs and also colleges, i want out of Ohio for various reasons, just wondering where would be good to go for a POTS patient?  I found a college in Indiana I like and Minnasota (sp).  I need to work in any state i move to for a year to get "in state" tutition.

anyways any imput would be greatly appreciated.

susie

Hi Susie

as no one yet replied to you I thought I would. I hate to say this but avoid NJ if you can...nice place ( central and south that is) but not ONE major hospital or cardiologist or even neurologist has ever taken my dysauto seriously!!! I have had to drive into NYC and all over PA and even to Ohio to Dr. Grubb...

good luck

Finette

Well, it's hard to give advice like this because everyone is so different about what they like and what their priorities and goals are.

I guess my first 3 suggestions would be:

Nashville, TN--several universities around and Vanderbilts Autonomic Dr's as well.

Metro Atlanta--lots of universities and some decent cardiologists who are informed w/ dysautonomia

Jacksonville, FL--again several universities and Mayo clinic.

My thought in these larger cities vs. the North or midwest is because of the combination of more nanny jobs available at really good pay and these areas also have universities. I think you could get paid more $ for being a nanny in these places.

Check this site out to see if it will help you plan.

http://houseandhome.msn.com/pickaplace/com...0&PFS=WA&PTS=CA

Thanks for the input! :)

As for staying close to Grubb -- i had an appointment last week, and he encouraged me to try college and stuff. Out of state tutition will kill the pocketbook, but it's my education. Since i am feeling somewhat better, he said i can go out of state for college. My parents will stay put in Ohio (only an hour away from Grubb) --- but i hate ohio's winters. Ya i know moving up north will be a challenge but i think i can handle it. :)

susie -

i have a few thoughts for you to take or leave as you please....

just so you know where i'm coming from - literally & figuratively - i grew up in ohio & absolutely HAD to leave state for college. i only looked at one school in-state but honestly always knew i'd be going further away, as did my parents. i had already made my school decision when my health started to get the most wacky, so that wasn't a factor in my decision making, but now that i'm "old & wise" hehe....

i just moved back to ohio after living in maryland for 8 years...college & then after. while dr. grubb encouraged my staying at school when i first started seeing him during trips home my freshman year, and while i don't regret doing so, i can't say i would ever be able to be gung ho about someone with a history of autonomic issues going as far as i did as it added to the stress of things A LOT for me over the years. even when as healthy as can be, trips home are more time, effort & money the farther you are.

now...i am NOT saying that you should necessarily stay in ohio...just that the distance factor is something that is worth keeping as part of the equation. at times when i had flare ups and then when i got really ill my senior year & this past year i had to get back to ohio (senior year) and my poor parents had to come to baltimore this year more than 6 times. i'm not trying to be alarmist but just know that a lot of things would have been much easier if i had not been 8 hours away. that said, i had many good times in baltimore & hind sight is 20/20...

so...as far as where the "best" place to be is, i'd say it's wherever you'll be happiest! obviously easier said than done, but i'd research as much as you can. re: the school tuition, it's definitely a good call to look into the in-state fees, but realize that often the qualifications are more stringent than a year of working in state. i don't know about the specific schools you're considering, but many look into things to determine if you moved to work solely in order to qualify a year down the road. and some schools/states require three years of residency before in-state is any option unless a parent was transferred for work or something of that sort...

okay, ramblings over. most of all i'm so glad that you're doing as well as you are & that you're looking into school & the like. i'd vote for "not too close but not too far either"....knowing that i wouldn't have listened at all when i was in your shoes!

all the best,

B) melissa

Im heading to the US for exchange next year .... im terrified! hehe. I rely so much on my parents and boyfriend when im sick, yet i would really like to know that i am capable of doing it alone (or at least i gave it one giant big shot)

So if my parents are in Australia i cant fall back on them. Such a scary thought.

I have improved alot since the drs upped my fludrocortisone... yet i have never had to live by myself or do four subjects (in australia for my course 3 subjects = full time). It looks like i will be going to University of Texas-Austin, Boston college or North Carolina - Chapel Hill. Has anyone got any advice on these options?

Susie, in my research i came across this website. I dont know how much truth is in it since i know little about the US college system but it may be able to help you find colleges that are disability friendly! http://www.newmobility.com/review_article....2&action=browse

I guess you would have most likely have already googled that yourself though.

Illinois looked really good .. shame its in cornfields, not sure there would be many nanny jobs there. :D