I Need You Guys Help

ChadK

I am scared for a few reasons , at first I thought for sure I had POTS but noiw am worried that it may be a abdominal aortic anurysm or howevere you spell that . I nam sorry I am posting thias and I am sure this post may get on your nerves but I have been to the doc three years ago for this same thing. Is this POTS or something else. My symtoms are hard heart beat in stomach , it feals like the muscles in my stomach are very tight and I dont get the urge to use the bathroom very much . I used the bathroom for the first time in a 4 days the day before yesterday. When I stand up it feals like my abdomen falls to my stomach and of course my heart beats really fast. Yesterday I had pretty severe leg pain. Also for some reason my stomach has been growling and bubbling like I have gas . Does any of you get these symtoms? And could this also be POTS somehow or maybe because I have not drank enough? I went to the doc for a pulse in my stomach about 3 years ago and everythinb checdked out fine. Im really scared. It also feals like the lymnodes in my groin are a little hard . I have not really had abdominal pain. I talked with a nurse tonight about wether or not I may have a abdominal aortic anurisym and she said YOU DO NOT HAVE A ANURYSM. She said she has never ever saw a patient at my age with that and that mostly older people get. Can anyone please help because I am so scared.I can mostly only feal my pulse in certain posistions and could it be because I have not eaten enough or drink or not moved much at all? Here is a little about me

Weight : 130 ( Because Anxiety )

Medical History : ( Anxiety Only and Maybe POTS )

This only started about three days ago and my stomacvh muscles feal real tight

Guest Finrussak

Hi

Even though I am new to this forum, I have been an advocate for years on many sites for Lyme, anxiety, etc. I know how scary it is too have weird stuff go wrong with your body. First, calm down. Most doctors, even disbelieving ones, will listen to the belly area and if you have an aneurism they can hear a very specific 'noise' called BRUITS. its a kind of bubbling or non smooth rushing of blood...you cant feel it...the bubbles and gurgles you feel and hear are normal intestinal noise. I am sure that recent exams had this checked ( and your neck arteries too)which is why the nurse insisted on you not having an aneurism. She couldve been a little mor understanding...What may be happening is that many people with various dysautonomias ( POTS included) have blood vessels that are a little or even a lot more stretchy than other people...so when you lie down the blood is pumping faster or harder and the aorta in the belly is the biggest fattest blood vessel ( think of a very large stretchy garden hose with the water turned on high). So you can really feel it beating. Plus if you are thin it is even more obvious. Other posts have said that its so hard to tell if the anxiety is a result of or a cause of all the POTS etc symptoms. This is so true...sometimes "stress" or "nerves" can provoke an attack after all,the chemicals are already there...other times, the episode of POTS etc produces these chemicals in high enough amounts to cause the jitters/anxiety. Thats why its so easy to mistake one for the other and many times its BOTH. I have found that breathing exercises meant for anxiety help. Also if you do relaxation exercise also meant for panic attacks. What this does is help retrain the body to stop the cycle of your body going funny then you get scared which means even more chemicals pump which makes you even more scared etc etc...also by doing this you can lessen an episode, even if it is POTS or similar.

Like if you are floating on a raft in the ocean and a big wave is coming...if you remain calm and go with it instead of fighting it, it will pass around you...you may lift up a bit and get jostled but youre ok...if you try to fight it ( by being scared) you will certainly be dumped or drown...these exercises are your raft and way to go with the wave. Plus when you are in an ER or with a DR if you remain calm and they see your not hyperventilating or acting panicky, theyll believ your symptoms more.( usually)

The leg pain may be more blood pooling OR muscle spasms due to high adrenaline or even you are tensing with fear without realizing it...all of this can be lessened with those exercises.

Plus, then whats left is obviously dysautonomia...also you should know that I have spent the last weeks poring over medical journals and the area of the brain which controls all these so called automatic things (heart rate, bp etc) also controls yawns, body temp etc...I have found that I can have 20-30 minutes of yawns that are not able to be stopped...sometimes with an episode but usually right after...also the full belly feeling can be more of those strecthy blood vessels...the intesines are loaded with them...its called the splanchnic bed. Many are lucky if their legs have pooling of blood becasue with color and feeling changes it can be obvious...and seen and therefore easier to explain...but if blood is building up way inside the belly and you feel bloated or full or tight, well they look at you like your nuts...even ultrasound may not catch it ( I know Ive tried)...And again digestive system and its circulation are also controlled by the autonomic system...

sometimes it helps to keep a journal...time of day, what you were doing or thinking, your heart rate and BP, symptoms...either when it changes...like a bad episode...or at set times...like every 2 or 4 hrs,.but after 2 weeks then only do this for real big changes..even feeling "good"...this helps find out what can make stuff happen ( or stop happen) and also once its on the paper STOP thinking about it.If you dont have to keep saying to yourself "thats weird I have to remember this if I need the ambulance"...and go on with your day...there's less mind chatter to add to the chemical mess already happening.

Also as far as your Dr thinking "not POTS" you could still have it as well as atypical dysautonomias....thats why the journal can help.

above all...it takes time but eventually you will know what is wrong and why even if it all cant be fixed!!!

BTW where are you from??? I am in cventral NJ and it took forever and many many Drs to even listen. Good luck and try to have a good nite

Finette

Weight : 130 ( Because Anxiety )

Medical History : ( Anxiety Only and Maybe POTS )

This only started about three days ago and my stomacvh muscles feal real tight

Hi Chad, when you are feeling weird things and have concerns, make a visit and see your doctor. That's what they are there for...you! :lol: You are needing reassurance that everything is ok, and the only way to really get that is to be seen and examined. You will feel so much better after you are checked out. Take care and try not to worry too much. :( Laura

Chad,

The best way that doctors have today for detecting dysatuonomia / POTs (although it's not foolproof) is the tilt table test (TTT). Have you had one of these?

When my symtpoms are bad, I also get the strong heartbeat in the belly, gurgling in the stomach and all the other symptoms you describe. Although after a year of dealing with it, I now have many of my symptoms fairly well managed. Although today they've all flared up again for some reason! :lol:

Anyway, it did help me to learn to control the anxiety related part so that I didnt' add fuel to the fire by freaking out when I had POTS episodes or bizarre symtpoms. I've learned to calmly talk myself through most of them. The abdomen and chest often get tight due to the anxiety. Your body may be producing too much adrenaline or sometimes our bodies overreact to small amounts of adrenaline, which can really increase anxiety and put us on edge.

Visualzation and calming/ breathing techniques can help. Although it takes time and persistance. You may want to ask your doctor about an anti-anxiety med that you can take as needed to get you through the rough spots.

I think the best thing would be to get a definitive dx first, and that will at least give you some peace of mind.

Hang in there.

Gena

yes have read all about the tilt table test. The question I now have is , does anyone ever get either groin pain or leg pain like a dull aching pain , also in the lower abdomen. I have lost some weight sence all of this and is that also a common thing . Im more worried about my pain , it is uncomfortable in certain posistions

Also what was the link to the POTS symtoms or whatever?

Chad,

I'm not sure if you read my post on my leg pain, on the topic you started about "important question".

Yes, I have leg pains! I thought it wasn't so bad, but yesterday when I went out to pick up a pizza, I was wearing shorts, and didn't feel like putting on my compression hose, but yet I didn't want to wear my knee high compression socks, so I took them off. BIG MISTAKE! Till I got home, my legs were in pain.

I'm not sure what kind of pain you have in your legs, and it is always to get things checked out by a doctor. But, have you ever tried or do you wear compression socks?

Tracy

I get leg pain too. As far as lower abdominal pain, it's may be due to consitpation, / slow motility issues which can be common with POTS. However you may want to talk to your doc about a colonoscopy or pelvic ultrasound to rule out obstructions or anything else that could cause your symptoms.

Gena

Leg Pain - Yes i get it sometimes, latley ive noticed it more. The other week i had a pain in my knee and bruisng around my knee, felt like a constant sharp pain. This lasted a few days and went, i didnt bang my knee or anything.

Abdominal Pains - I can eat huge meals and not go the toilet for days. I get VERY! bad wind morning times and late night. I awoke last night and my stomach felt like it had a balloon in it, gas came from both ends (sorry to be bold) and it went. I noticed in colledge last week my stomach was growling like an angry tiger!

I have many of these pains and there awful. Hope u get help soon.

Chad, I'm gonna be a little bold here. Have you considered seeing a therapist? The reason I ask is, my therapist is a great advocate for me with the doctors I have seen. She recommends they stay out of her profession and she will stay out of theirs. Your anxiety level is incredibly high and a good therapist can help you deal with these issues and also help the doctors decide what is anxiety induced and what is a real medical concern, so these things can be straightened out.

I am in NO WAY saying you are just nutty, I am saying the medical needs to get sorted out from the psych standpoint. You will find many many of us on this site have therapists to help us through this kind of rough stuff. Almost all of us have depression or anxiety or both, but sometimes doctors will use that as an excuse to look no further. So you need some ammo, which a therapist can give you.

Most of us bristle when this sort of thing comes up, because we know we are not crazy, but very ill. However, I now have a letter from therapist which reinforces this, and takes that impotent power away from docs that want to use bad diagnoses for everything. You may want to consider this. morgan

Guest Finrussak

I was just reading the posts since last night. Chad --when is the last time you were examined by a good Dr. I was offering some late night suggestions to calm you a bit until you can get to see a doctor...it seems like you are so worried ( which is understandable) but once you have some real concrete answers it gets easier.

Many of your questions can be answered, and IF anything is going on that needs medical attention...it will be dealt with...

And Morgan is right...a therapist can also help sort out what's going on and provide the support.

Please make an appt ASAP with a Dr, then consider a therapist...in the meanwhile, take a long deep breath, exhale slowly and try to not dwell on the "weird stuff" it WILL all work out :angry: Do you have family support near by? that CAN be a big help too!!

I hope you can get in with a Dr soon and get things checked out. I also agree a therapist may be able to help you manage the anxiety. It is only natural for you to have anxiety and fears when your body is not acting "normal". Hopefully your anxiety will ease when you get answers from your Dr.

I have several issues with bloating, gas, slow motility etc. At times, I will strongly feel my heartbeat in my abdomen. Though it's an unpleasant feeling and sometimes scary, I've had it enough to know it's nothing serious (I'm speaking for my case only).

I often get leg pain as well. For me, this symptom is usually related to either low potassium or too much activity/prolonges standing during the day

Ask the doctor if it would be okay for you to take a magnesium supplement. It might help with the anxiety, and it is a laxative. I take 800 mg a day of magnesium as magnesium oxide, and it has solved my lifelong problem with slow transit constipation. If you have to take other things at the same time, ask the pharmacist if the magnesium will cause any problems with absorption.

If you are taking Florinef because of POTS, you might need supplemental magnesium, as well as supplemental potassium.