Feeling faint/bp

I was feeling a little faint as I was reading my 19 month old a story this morning. I went and took my bp and it was 89/56. The faint feeling passed, but I'm just wondering if that is normal, low, really low or what? I took it again in 5 minutes and it was 89/62. Is the top number too low?

I'm getting really anxious here ~ I hope I don't put myself into a panic attack.

In the UK doctors can get a bit twitchy about low blood pressuyre if the systolic (top number) is below 100. It varies from person to person, and also depends on how doctors view it where you are. Here, low blood pressure is rarely treated and is more often seen as a good thing- the day after I broke my foot fainting due to hypotension, a cardiologist told me to cnsider myself lucky to have low blood pressure! :( Yes, what a SPECIAL doctor HE was ;)

Anyway, I don't have the answers- I'm not a medic- but if that is much lower than you are usually, maybe that might explain the dizziness/faintness? Get it checked by the gp pronto..

Stay well :)

Thanks for your reply. I've checked it several times now and it's been 90's/50's ~ standing and 78/54 sitting. I suppose since I was normally 100/60 sitting and now I'm on a beta blocker that it's probably normal that it's going a little low.

I just get so scared ~ especially since I'm home with a 3 1/2 year old and a 19 month old.

*I've been practicing calling 911 with my 3 1/2 year old the last few weeks ~ you never know*

Jennifer,

My B/P is usually very low, before any meds, it was usually in the low 90'2 over low 60's and a few times it was lower than that. There was a joke going around my doctors office to see if "I was alive today" when they toke my B/P.

My B/P is now usually low 100's/high 90's over 60 to 70's. They never really said that my B/P was ever "to Low", but I can understand your disstress. When I can feel mine to low, they have told me to go eat something very salty and that for me along with laying down and putting my feet up helped. Hope this helped and hope you are feeling better by now. :(

tracy

I agree with Steph. My usual BP is 90/60 and doctors always told me that was excellent, until I got POTS, that is! :P From what I've read and what my drs have told me, the normal range is anywhere from 90/60 to 120/80. But it really depends on the person.

If you just started a beta blocker, sometimes it takes a while to get used to and that could also be causing you to feel faint. Fluids, salt and compression hose should help. It sometimes takes a few days for the fluids and salt to start working. Another thought would be to start off the BB at a lower dose and work your way up.

Feel better!

Jennifer,

It is so funny, we have so many similarities. I have the same situation as you with a 3 year old and what to do when feeling faint. Your blood pressure readings are similar to mine. I feel really faint at the upper 80/50s range. How do you handle going out in public? Really what do you do when you have a child that young-I have not been in public alone because I am afraid of this. Just a trick if you are standing up, cross your legs. squeeze your legs and bottom together for 2 seconds. It works, adn is supposed to increase your bp. Also squeezing a ball in your hand is supposed to work too. JenniferTX