stellate ganglion block

erinlia

I see there is bits of talk on here about using the stellate ganglion block as POTS treatment.  I thought I'd share my experience.  I had one done about a month ago, at my doctor's suggestion.  They hoped it would really help my POTS.  I felt like the first few hours after each injection it MAYBE helped ease symptoms.  Its hard to tell.  I felt a lot of pressure in my head and my hand on that side was very warm.  The pressure in my head felt nice, like I was getting more blood flow when I stood up.  By the next day I definitely felt like my usual self.  I have not noticed any lasting help from it.  It seemed like it may have helped for a few hours, but I cant say for sure.  It may have just been that I was running on adrenaline by overdoing it that day with an appointment.   

I have had POTS for over thirty years.  The doctor did say the SGB is more likely to help people who have had POTS for a shorter period.  He recommended that I keep coming back and do them again to see if the benefit builds up each time.  I'm not sure I can afford to do that.

The procedure itself was not bad at all.  I dont mind needles.  but I would say it was not very uncomfortable and was done quickly.   The staff was super nice and interested in POTS, which feels rare to me.  It just didn't help.  also didn't make things worse....so thats a plus, right!? :)

I have been curious about SGB for ME/CFS for about two years.  It certainly sounds like an elegant solution, and it does apparently work wonders for PTSD as well as pain.  But what I have noticed, watching as many have tried it, is that your experience is pretty common @erinlia.  For people with autonomic dysfunction of short duration, i think there is a greater likelihood of noticeable results.  I know a bunch of people who have had POTS and ME/CFS for decades who went through series of SGB only to give up, none the better for it.  Like you infer--it is expensive if it has to be repeated many times, and without any concrete signs of improvement it may be prohibitive.  

I'm sorry it didn't work for you! 😪

I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has been ill for more than five years and has had real improvement from SGB. 

23 hours ago, Jyoti said:

I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has been ill for more than five years and has had real improvement from SGB. 

One of my friends, who has had ME/CFS and Dysautonomia for many, many years, had many SGB treatments and her results were about the same as reported here--maybe a little short term benefit but nothing that lasted.

• 4 months later...

I caught omicron covid and developed long covid a month later. I developed POTS, and suspected MCAS. I had extreme anxiety, depression, adrenaline surges, food sensitivities, and I had over 46 symptoms. I was suicidal. A month later, I had a set of Stellate ganglion blocks on my right and left side. My symptoms improved and disappeared over the next few months, my heart rate improved but remained higher than normal. After 5 months, very mild anxiety, mild restless leg syndrome, and mild adrenaline surges returned. I had a Stellate ganglion block repeated just on the right side.  And those symptoms went away again. It’s now been 10 months since that last block and all symptoms (except higher heart rate. But manageable without meds) are completely gone. Highly recommend it!