speech issues

sandra.p29

Yes,  brainfog,  I really ******* hate it,  not sure if there is a way to improve it.   There are days where I am very fluid,  but most of the time I feel like the closing words are at the tip of my tongue but they don't come out.  Or even sometimes I have something to say when people are already on a different topic.  

@sandra.p29 yes, when I don’t receive enough circulation to my brain from various reasons related to dysautonomia I can’t find words, slur the words or even talk gibberish! Definitely a reason to immediately lie down and rest! I am so sorry that you also experience his scary symptoms. Have you checked your BP when this happens! It can also happen if the blood sugar drops, that also can be a symptoms of dysautonomia. This is usually accompanied by weakness and profuse sweating. 

I have trouble sometimes. It’s not that I can’t speak altogether, but I have a lot of trouble “speaking up”, so interrupting or correcting people, or asking for things.

This is a big problem for me in medical settings, even when I’m dealing with nice people.

I hate it.

I have started making lists afterwards of things to request or decline at the start of appointments or hospital visits, but this only helps me for the next time something happens.

I can answer questions and appear normal cognitively, but underneath I am often struggling.

You are on to a good start with making your lists afterwards. It is not clear from your comments whether you are struggling with speech disfluency or, for lack of a better term, initiative in speaking up.  Speech tharapists can help with fluency and with workarounds.

Having some questions written down before you go into an appointment might help. If you are having trouble with initiative, raising your hand before you speak (like in school) might help you get that extra beat of time to formulate what you want to say. That way you can interject with your body, not just your voice. You can also take a notebook with you and write down your question before you say it. If possible, it may also help to take someone you are familiar with to your appontments. No matter how nice the medical professional is, we are always under pressure at appointments because we have such a limited time.

You might find it helpful keep a journal of every time this happens so you can look back and see if there are any patterns. Take note of anything you did that helped a little and be sure celebrate any small victories. 

I do experience the "not being able to talk clearly" and at times am not able to swallow well (even meds) almost always happens in the AM i was also told i have cognitive issues at times. I was told to see a speech therapist but declined. My worry is just like the usual recommendations (chew your food 32 times or if you are feeling orthostatic drink more fluids and squeeze your butt cheeks).

What i have been finding is i tend to be a bit hypoglycemic in the AM. Not saying this is the issue here but us dysautonomia folk due suffer from BG issues. might be worth to get a BGM just to rule this out.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I have this problem often. As Nelson indicated, I think that brain fog is my biggest problem. It can slow down hearing and understanding of others; make it hard to find the right word and make it difficult to follow a conversation. People who know you well will easily recognize that you are not feeling well. 

I also know that my speech is sometimes limited by poor hearing which makes me susceptible to misunderstanding of some sounds. I sometimes hear the wrong words which makes me try to lip read (and I'm not good at that at all). My hearing problems are probably related to profound tinnitus. Hearing aids help a lot but they aren't perfect.

Also, hoarseness of voice is a problem that impedes my ability to project my voice. My real voice is deep and articulate; my hoarse voice sounds pretty awful. So yeah, it is a complex and annoying problem for me.

Yes, absolutely. I have trouble with word recall, losing my train of thought half way through sentences and stuttering if I’ve been upright for too long or am overly tired.  There are also times I have to repeat certain words because I’ve mispronounced them. Also trouble swallowing, but again, only if I’m tired or have been standing a lot.

As MattyT wrote, I’ve been finding lately that I have been asking people to repeat certain things as it’s just taking me a few extra seconds to comprehend what is being said. I attribute this to brain fog / lack of circulation to the brain.

• 1 month later...

Me too! I know that when I’m having trouble word finding that I’m flaring pretty badly. It goes along with the brain fog with me. Improved with hydration.

@MeAgain..., my dad usually accompanies me to appointments, and we are going to try a system at the next one. I’m going to try to squeeze his arm when I feel the doctor is getting off track. We’ll see what happens.

I am often confused by what people say or do, only later realising that they were working from incomplete or wrong information supplied by someone else, e.g. referral letter that didn’t give all the necessary info.