College Accommodations for Chemistry Lab

Mom2EGnV

My daughter, diagnosed with POTs, must take Chem 1 for her major and is having a hard time with her lab. She has her interview with Disability Services on Friday afternoon, and we need some guidance from those of you who have "been there" as to what to ask for in her chem lab. She is currently required to stand, walk, carry, think, etc. in a hot room while wearing protective clothing and eye wear. She has been told that she can currently take a short break but she cannot sit down while doing her lab. She also cannot have assistance from another student.  My daughter uses forearm crutches for mobility, so it is difficult to navigate the lab under these conditions. Mind you, this is prior to a determination on disability. Presumably, this CAN change after her application is accepted and accommodations are put in place. I have researched the usual college accommodations and found a ton of info. However, I cannot find anything that specifically takes science labs into consideration for accommodation.  I just want to know what we should ask for specifically in the laboratory classroom.

Dear @Mom2EGnV I am not sure what the specific requirements for a lab test are but I know that the best policy is to ask for what she needs. If the room is hot she should be allowed to use cooling garments etc. She should be allowed to drink fluids. As to rest periods etc - I do not know, but as I said, I would just ask for anything she needs and see what they say. 

I'd think that it will be very difficult to put in assistance in the chemistry lab even after a disability assessment. 

My first degree was half chemistry and I have also worked in chemistry labs in industry. I don't now and can't see how a lot of wet chemistry lab work can be accommodated if you have severe issues. Obviously you have to wear all the protective equipment and cannot drink in the laboratory. You can take breaks but the necessity of removing protective equipment and making sure that your hands are clean before drinking means frequent drinks breaks are out. (I used to work with someone who put on new disposable gloves to eat and drink to avoid contamination)

If you need crutches you will need at least a lab stool in order to manipulate the equipment safely (I cannot see why a lab stool should not be allowed but these are not that much off vertical)

She will not be able to carry and move equipment/ reagents with crutches it just isn't possible. She could be able to work at fixed positions with all equipment and supplies to hand. As long as the lab is fairly basic this might be possible.

There is also the danger of reduced mobility significantly increasing danger in the lab. I don't know exactly what level of chemistry you are talking about but during my university lab time I have twice seen the emergency showers having to be used. (Emergency showers are basically a high powered shower IN the lab with no access restriction. You go (are taken) to the area and a chain is pulled drenching the entire area whilst all the affected clothing is removed / cut off - there is no privacy. Once the contaminated clothing is removed you can start treatment for whatever it was spilled on you)

Because of the safety issues I think true chemistry at a high level in the laboratory is probably going to be very difficult. (Some physical chemistry (as opposed to organic or inorganic chemistry) might still be safe. As will basic chemistry not in a high level lab. )

Other branches of lab science are much more adaptable for disabilities. I've known biochemistry, immunology, pharmacology and many more lab based sciences adapted for those in wheelchairs. The difference is basically the volumes of 'bad stuff' you deal with. In biochemistry if the experiment goes badly wrong you are likely to be contaminated by a small amount of reaction mass that should easily be protected against by the lab coat etc. In chemistry at university level you can be dealing with really very nasty chemicals in volumes that can cause real damage.

Even when you take protections things can go wrong. I once had to spend a couple of hours talking to the anti poison center because I ended up with a nasty bromine burn because the glove I had been wearing had a microscopic hole in it that I had not noticed. 

Hopefully you do sort something out but full wet chemistry is going to be difficult.

@GasconAlex - thank you for your valuable Input! This is unfortunate but it sounds dysautonomia symptoms may cause real safety concerns. 

@Mom2EGnV - if it ends up that the lab cannot accommodate your daughter's limitations it may be better to either delay the exam or discuss a different area of chemistry? I know of people who have done both. I know that in my case my employer ( I was an RN ) tried all possible accommodations to keep me employed, including wheel chair, change in hours, frequent breaks and desk work only but I still had to stop working. There were also certain ( required ) qualifications like CPR that I could not complete due to my disability ( CPR is hard work and has to be done upright ). 

I do know of several dysautonomia sufferers that had to delay college until the right treatment was achieved or their condition improved ( this can be the case in some young people with POTS ). 

Best of Luck, please let us know how she is doing!

• 2 weeks later...

Update, and to reply to some questions above:

Chem 1 - basic chemistry needed for geology degree. She will not be pursuing chemistry as a major.

My question related to doing labs not taking exams.

We got everything we asked for from disability services for her classes and exams. We ARE still waiting on specific accommodations for the chemistry lab. A stool is allowed now, so at least she doesn't have to stand for 2-3 hours. The disability services contact will discuss possible accommodations with the lab instructor to specifically address the lift and carry restrictions of using crutches. We don't yet know what that accommodation will be.

Geology is an excellent choice. I'm a little surprised that the university insisted in this chemistry practical for your  daughter (with her obvious issues) In my opinion it would have been far better to  offer a written assessment of practical skills or to have allowed an assistant to undertake the practical work following the orders of your daughter, since this type of lab work is not necessarily a fundamental requirement of the  further course.

The stool option also posed no real risk either. 

My mother (82) did Geology and my niece has a doctorate in it. Hopefully your daughter will also enjoy  it!