Having POTS while being a cancer caregiver

I have been so scared lately because of my husband's cancer. I have been afraid I will not be strong enough to be the kind of caregiver he needs.

I mean he is MY caregiver. I have always been the sick one and he has always been healthy and taking care of everything I can't do. He has been through 3 rounds of chemo and was pretty sick during two of them. I was able to do it but it was exhausting. This last round was better. He did not feel as bad and he has been doing more. Still I have been almost paralyzed at times with the fear of what may come next.

This afternoon we saw his doctor to get his CT scan report. The chemo is working! His original tumor in his esophogus/stomach is invisible on CT Scan and the cancer in his liver is reduced by more than 1/2. The plan now is for 3 more rounds of chemo, starting yet this week. So here we go again. . . Only this time, I feel like I can handle it better because I know it is working.

There have been so many people praying for him. I hope this note reaches all of you on this forum who have been praying. Jeff and I both believe that yes, the chemo is working, but there is something extra helping out and all those who have been praying or sending healing energy or thoughts his way have tipped the scales in his favor. Thank you all so much. And please keep on praying. We have got the cancer on the move, now we need to run it out of town.

His cancer has taught me that even with my POTS I can manage more that I would imagine. There's no way I can manage the yard, but I can manage a trip to the grocery and I can manage to cook whatever he needs when he is sick from the chemo. And I am good at just being with him and holding his hand.

At the same time, I am marketing those darn puzzles. And believe it or not, he has been able to help a lot. Our puzzle business is very slow because I can only work on it in spurts, but I am getting it out there a little bit at a time.

I think all the prayers and well-wishes are helping me cope, too.

Thanks so much!

Michigan Jan

Oh I am so gald to hear that the chemo is working for your husband.. that is just fantastic news!!

Glad to hear that you are hanging in there too.. I know that this has got to be a very stressful and scary time... but you both seem to be handling it well..

Godbless you both..

Linda

Jan, it's amazing what we can do when there are just no other options..

I'm not sure what to tell you, I guess I have been the care giver around here for a long time, and it still kicks in, no matter crummy I feel.

I am so happy for you and Jeff. This type of cancer is a bugger, so I too believe there's more at work than chemo. You remain in my prayers and good thoughts! morgansogladitsbetter

Your situation brings tears to my eyes every time. I am so thankful that some of your prayers have been answered and you are getting some good news in the midst of all of this.

I will keep praying that the cancer will "run out of town"

Jan, just take things one day at a time; that's all we are given anyway. I know you will find the strength to cope with whatever comes your way and we are here rooting you and Jeff on!!

Jan, reinvigorated prayers for you and Jeff that the next three rounds will kill the last of the cancer to never return. In His name all is possible, right? There are so many here thinking and praying and sending you and Jeff their powerful, positive thoughts for complete healing. With all that energy going his way I think that cancer doesn't stand a chance.

Hugs, karen

PS Jan, I know that your worry about being able to take care of Jeff's needs weighs heavily on you, but gather faith in yourself by how capably you are handling things now. The tables being turned is scary, but just take it a day at a time. You are doing an awesome job.

Jan...I was quite overcome when I read your posting. The news about the chemo working is wonderful, to say the least. My prayers will be with you and your husband as you go down the road. Today, I myself am off to the oncologist to see whether chemo is advised for me before radiation. The breast surgeon and the radiological oncologist are just not sure. So, you know I can really empathize with your situation. Your strength and love for your husband will give you the boost you need to continue to be the wonderful caregiver that you are. Don't worry about the little things, like cleaning, grass mowing--focus on only what is important!

Jan, as hard as it's been, you are a true testament as to what a person can do when they really have to.

I am filled with happiness everytime you post with good news about Jeff, my prayers are still with you both.

I know it certainly hasn't been easy for you, but it sounds like both of you seem to be getting stronger in your minds and your bond, even when your bodies don't want to cooperate.

Take care of each other, and keep accepting help from others.

-Steph

Jan,

You and Jeff are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope things keep getting better.

Good luck in the next three rounds.

Guest Julia59

Jan,

I'm so happy to hear the chemo is working to get rid of the cancer.......

We will help you and Jeff run that cancer right out of town...... :)

Keep hanging in there and try to pace yourself the best you can----I think your doing a great job so far- :) .

I'm praying for both you and Jeff---praying for your health to stay in check, and praying for Jeff's cancer to take a hike.

Julie :0)

Jan, I wish I lived near you so I could help in a more productive way or at least feel like I'm helping you. I can only imagine what you're going through mentally and physically. I'm amazed that you still find time to fill us all in.

I'm continuing to keep you both in my thoughts. Big hugs. Nina

• 2 weeks later...