daughter had episode

sallyann

my daughter and i are huge philadelphia eagles football fans,so yesterday when we heard the was an eagles carnival and all the players would be there ,we just had to attempt a trip there. it was raining so we thought the weather might be cool enough to handle.we were wrong!as soon as we arrived sara didnt feel too well and informed staff and handed them and information card .the staff was understanding and amazing.we sat for a while and sara felt better.the staff told us to go upstairs and get andy reids signature,that sounded like such a great idea.we got in line to meet andy reid and yes sara doesnt feel well again.we inform staff aagain.they let sara go to the front of the line to get andy reids signature.then saras lips start turning white,i can see she is ready to drop.we take her to the paramedic,and get her laying down. as he tends to her is is asking many questions,i explain the best i can.he became more and mor interested and i showed him an iformation card , he ask if he could please have one!!!!.he watches sara as she drinks ,everytime she takes a drink or swallows her heart rate goes up into the150s,he is amazed.he couldnt get the bottom blood pressure reading.eventually sara starts to come around so she sits up,yes heart rate goes from90 back up to 150s.he states the heartbeat is very irregular.stands her up heartrate rises again and remains very irregular.at this point he gives us his phone number and e-mailand ask that we please e-mail him as soon as possible with information on this dissorder.he said he has a friend who is a doctor in pittsburg and is he going to talk to her about it .he then ask for our phone # and e-mail .so he can contact us after his search for a doctor in pittsburg who might be able to helpus. he was amazing , he was genuinly interested in learning about this .and keeping in touch with us while he does so.this man doesnt know how much he touched our lives yesterday, i will always be thankful.

sorry this is so long

sallyann

ps. he also gave her a wheelchair,called staff who proceeded to take her in the wheelchair to meet some of the players and get thier autographs.the philadelphia eagles will always be my favorite football team.but the team of people who helped to make yesterday a beautiful experience were my heroes.

Wow, that is an uplifting story! I'm sorry she had such a rough time (I know, I've been there), but it's so wonderful and encouraging to get medical helps that is actually "helpful" and not judgemental!

I just had a quick question. You said you gave out "information cards." What are these? Does it explain OI? Is it something you had made, or did you make it yourself? I'm very curious, it sounds like a good idea to hand something in writing for people to understand. I'd like to know more about it.........

Guest Julia59

Sallyann,

How nice it is to see a nice story like that! What a thoughful and caring paramedic.

Things like that give me hope that there are people out there who are willing to learn about the effects dysautonomia can have on a person.

Julie :0)

sallyann -

thanks for sharing the story with us. i wish of course that your daughter hadn't felt so poorly but am thankful that you both had such a positive experience in light of the situation. it's always a breath of fresh air when we encounter such great medical personel...too bad we can't clone them!!! and nice when we're able to share the good stuff along with the bad.

:-)melissa

I just wanted to say "WOW", what a great story, of course sorry your daughter had to go through all that, and I hope she is feeling better.

That was such a great paramedic, there are just not many understanding people out there, (I've dealt with some paramedic that aren't that helpful)

Again I'm glad that you guys got the help.

Have you considered writing a letter to his superior or even the newspaper as a gratitude for his professionalism? When medical professionals stink we want it known- but we also need to acknowledge when they are awesome!

Carmen

carmen

what a fantastic idea . i would love to tell the world how wonderful he is. and also how wonderful the staff of the philadelphia eagles was. thanks for the idea.

steph

ill be thinking of you during the eagles vs. browns game

mightymouse

philly really is the city of brotherly love!