Never really feel full after eating…now I’m fat

Hello! I have POTS and over the past 2 years have gained about 50lbs. Overeating is an issue. Many times I eat a decent sized meal and still feel hungry and crave more food. If I have nervous system issues elsewhere that cause signals not to work properly, I was wondering if the signal that “I’m feeling full” could be broken too? It might help me to recognize that it’s just a faulty signal and I don’t need more food. Wondered if anyone else has had this experience. 

My first experience with POTS was while I was pregnant so it might have been pregnancy, but I was super hungry constantly.  It was exhausting to keep up with.  I gained 50 lbs during the pregnancy.  I did wonder in retrospect tho if my extreme hunger was related to POTS.  After that long 2 year bout with severe POTS, I have had flare ups sometimes severe, and lost my appetite and lost weight.  But I also feel like each flare up was a little different in terms of the worst symptoms.

@Hippopotsamus - I do not have the same struggles as you but I know of Others that do. What some people have told me worked for them is a training schedule. It's not a diet as in "watch what you eat" but rather "watch HOW you eat". They would eat at certain times ( like every two hours or three meals and 2 snacks inbetween ) and then consciously eat. They would sit down and really pay attention to their eating. I was told that this regimen stopped the hunger feelings and helped them to feel full. 

Guest KiminOrlando

I had this problem. Or I would eat and 30 minutes later feel hungry when logically I knew I could not possibly need more food. I have gastroparesis. I think there is some kind of signal issue, but I don't know. In the last 6 months I decided to run an experiment since I always felt hungry anyway, I decided to start intermittent fasting. I realized I feel better fasting. I am less hungry. This makes no sense, but I can go all day and be fine, then just eat a little and be fine. I'm still hungry after I eat, but I just ignore it. I'm not hungry when I wake up in the mornings. I'm more hungry an hour after I eat. It is totally nonsensical. It is also not for everyone for a multitude of reasons, but it works for me. I have lost 30 pounds. Maybe play around with measuring and weighing out food portions then stop to see how that makes you feel. Do you feel more hungry than you do eating what you currently eat? If not, then maybe stick with portion control or speak with your doctor about intermittent fasting. I found that having my stomach empty stopped the false signals. I do not understand why.

I know this is a frustrating problem. The doctors then blame the weight for your illness by calling it 'deconditioning' but it is these crazy signals creating chaos that makes it worse and you feel like you just keep slipping deeper into a hole. It feels kind of hopeless, especially when their advice is to exercise. 

I hope you figure it out and find a solution that works for you.

@Hippopotsamus You didn't mention what type of POTS you have, but I saw this article recently (or one similar to it) and thought it might be of interest.

https://news.emory.edu/features/2019/02/fantastic-mind-hunger-nerve/index.html

I have gained weight since my dysautonomia issues started, but I figured this was related to the fact that I haven't been able to be as active as I was previously. I miss the days where I could do pilates or go for a walk w/o my body (or brain) freaking out...

I immediately dropped about 15-20 pounds when my autoimmune problems first hit. Dropped another 20-25 when POTS/dysautonomia hit. I have since gained back all 40 pounds. The difference being there used to be some muscle, which is now fat. I can distinctly point to the weight gain starting the exact same time I started Lexapro, though my neuro denies they're connected. My diet hasn't changed. Of course I've been less active, but I was less active for the first year of POTS when I was losing weight too. Did you start any new medications around the time of this weight gain? 

12 hours ago, MikeO said:

Side note i have confirmed eating lots of ice cream will pack on the pounds.

This has been true for me. I kept loosing weight ( due to auto-inflammation following COVID and unrelated Sepsis ) and icecream saved me. I now have to stop myself from eating it because otherside I would be a walking barrel. 

24 minutes ago, Pistol said:

icecream saved me

I know...I have such a love hate relationship with this stuff. I SNARFED down so much of this after my bypass surgery just because i could not tolerate eating else. Now i am still trying to lose what i gained and that was 5 years ago! 

10 hours ago, Pistol said:

This has been true for me. I kept loosing weight ( due to auto-inflammation following COVID and unrelated Sepsis ) and icecream saved me. I now have to stop myself from eating it because otherside I would be a walking barrel. 

Ice cream is a major favorite of mine, too. I’ve been making homemade brownies to serve under ice cream, topped with hot fudge. When we’re out, we chase super special ice cream.