Brain Fog

Jackie

Can you explain a bit more what that feels like? I have this dull feeling in my head the past few days (the one I have described as a passing out feeling though my BP is not doing anything strange right now that I know of other than running a little low...the one I have described as coming on premenstrually and here it is postmenstrual period instead...). I just can't put it into words actually. I just wondered what "brain fog" was as I've heard of it often but never have heard a description by sufferers. I don't think it is what I have but my sister with MS has talked about it so I'm just curious I guess to know more.

In the CFIDS (Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction) / FM (Fibromyalgia) world we call the phenom "Fibro-Fog" because it seems to be such a common characteristic of these chronic disorders. For us, brain fog is something like a slow mental crawl. Concentration seems very difficult and doing things like simple math can be painstaking.

For me these episodes are short lived though terribly frustrating. All I know is I can't think straight and I get very confused. I've come to recognize the "fog" and know that it's not a time to make major decisions. If I rest -- shut down all mental noise -- for awhile it usually goes away. But during the "bad days" the brain fog can loom for much longer.

EM

Brain Fog..... Seems to follow me wherever I go these days.

My Dr. described it to me as the "fog" you often experience when you get a cold or flu....which is often what I feel like.

Just not thinking clearly, concentration is hard, also I often struggle with remembering things.

Can you relate?

Hang in here!

Lisa

:P For me the concentration is also difficult and memory is a real accomplishment. Small things like how to spell simple words will be out of reach to me or talking and forget a name or struggle for the right word to use. My attention span is very short when I get this way. I'm not sure if it is BP related or what causes it all I know is that it is a pretty common symptom and usually dont last real long. I try to slow down and think about everything fully before I speak.

My friends get tickled with me and I just say at least I have a medical reason for it :P

Speaking of "brain fog" I forgot to mention I have POTS ;)

Oh so you mean like when I was watching a movie the other night and called a giraffe a zebra (which made my husband chuckle) and honestly concentrated as hard as I could and actually could not remember that the animal was called a giraffe...the name escaped me. Or..the day I was in the store standing in front of the detergants and looking for Dreft and looked the whole shelf over numerous times and could not find it and a clerk came by and I asked her if they carried Dreft because I thought for sure that they did and she looked at me strangely and then pointed straight ahead of me as I was standing right in front of it and didn't see it....or how I forget how to spell words sometimes...hmmmm.

I'm almost afraid to ask another question...sometimes I feel so vulnerable asking thinking somebody will think it sounds crazy, but does anybody's mind ever seem like it is racing and you can't think straight and get confused (like it is trying to process too much information too quickly)? I've had that before and have to go lie down and rest and it goes away.

;) oh my gosh, yes-yes--yes...i have pots and get brain fog alot. i have learned when i have it, i just tell my family to please not ask me to think, cause it's to hard. of course we try to chuckle it off when i can't think of a simple word, or cook something i've always known how to cook, etc...but sometimes i just want to cry...it gets so agravating. but i know i can't control it, unfortunately, so my best bet is to just not make any rash decisions when i have my foggy days :P ...with POTS and other disautomias, and illinesses like this, we just have to learn to go minute by minute and deal as best we can...but yes, I can definitely understand the brain fog thing...hope everyone has a good-non-brain fog day :P , oh also, this is the first time i came across this forum, and seems nice to chat with those who understand where i came from....the NDRF site is good too... :)

:unsure: everynight my brain has a hard time stopping unless I take my zoloft about an hour before bed sometimes it helps slow me down enough to sleep. B)

I can relate to the frustration...I've picked up the phone to call someone and dial and while it's ringing completely forget who I was calling! :angry:

I've learned that lists are my friend!! :P I make lists for "normal" activities like errands I'm running or calls I need to makejust so I can make sure to do them.