Sugar Free Rehydration Solution?

SCOOBY

I have POTS and recently have become extremely sensitive to carbohydrates.  My symptoms seem to worsen significantly with even a small amount of sugar.   

My doctor had recommended Jianis Brother oral rehydration salts, which I have been using for several months.  These salts however, have 20g of glucose per packet.  Due to my sensitivity to sugar, I am wondering if they are making me feel worse, rather than better.

Has anyone else had problems with rehydration solutions that contain sugar?  

Can anyone recommend a rehydration product that is sugar free?

I did recently did another take as to what hydration products are out in the marketplace.  My Dr recommended Vitamin Water has zero sugar and b vitamins. Thought is i need to drink some other fluid than water. I did look at liquid iv vs bannabag. Banana Bag has relatively no sugar but the b vitamin numbers are just crazy. Cost of banana bag is excessive as well. Price may be worth it if i was back in the collage bender years.

I know if i drink V8 i do feel better.

6 hours ago, SCOOBY said:

Has anyone else had problems with rehydration solutions that contain sugar?  

Can anyone recommend a rehydration product that is sugar free?

I can’t tolerate sugar either. I have been using Ultima Replenisher—0 carbs, 0 sugar. Sweetened with stevia. 

• 4 months later...

I have been working on a hydration strategy ever since i have joined Dinet. At least with my experience is that water alone does not cut it. Didn't matter how much i drank (i would just pee it out right away) and would have numerous orthostatic issues. I also do not tolerate salt directly very well.

I did find a product at the local food store called +H2O and is sugar free. It does not have any substantial sodium per serving (15mg) but when taken in its entirety (2 quarts per day) which i have been doing daily for the last couple of months, comes out to 450mg. This is also affordable $2.49 and makes 10 - 2 quarts bottles.

We have noticed that my blood pressures have normalized more (not perfect but better) and even have been able to go back on 5mg of Amlodipine.

At my latest procedure the hospital did take some blood panels and my sodium went up to a perfect "140" we saw that i hardly touched the IV bag even after 8hrs of being hooked up to it. Normally i would suck down a bag in an hour.

Just saying with some effort one can make a differance. 

I found an electrolyte company called LMNT they have flavored or unflavored and there is no sugar its just sodium, magnesium and potssium. I just put it in my water bottle aand you're good to go. There is even like a free trial pack of 8 different flavors you just pay 5 bucks for shipping. 

1 hour ago, BrooklynCTO said:

I found an electrolyte company called LMNT they have flavored or unflavored and there is no sugar its just sodium, magnesium and potssium. I just put it in my water bottle aand you're good to go. There is even like a free trial pack of 8 different flavors you just pay 5 bucks for shipping. 

So how is this on your stomach? I have tried most of the usual sports drinks (poweraid, vitamin water etc..) and i got heartburn really bad (I threw up on the vitamin water once). I did just try Liquid IV same thing got really sick so that was money down the drain.

10 hours ago, MikeO said:

I have tried most of the usual sports drinks (poweraid, vitamin water etc..) and i got heartburn really bad (I threw up on the vitamin water once).

@MikeO - same thing happens to me! Any electrolyte drink - if consumed in the amounts recommended for dysautonomia patients - causes me to have indigestion and nausea. Even simple water will do that! I get heartburn and nausea and then cannot eat. PLUS - any fluid I drink gets eliminated right away. I can tolerate small amounts of gatorade or pedialyte, but not in the amounts I would have to in order to see a difference. 

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

@MikeO - same thing happens to me! Any electrolyte drink - if consumed in the amounts recommended for dysautonomia patients - causes me to have indigestion and nausea. Even simple water will do that! I get heartburn and nausea and then cannot eat. PLUS - any fluid I drink gets eliminated right away. I can tolerate small amounts of gatorade or pedialyte, but not in the amounts I would have to in order to see a difference. 

Oh Thank You! @PistolI thought i was going nuts. I just can't handle this stuff and water alone does not cut it.

10 hours ago, MikeO said:

So how is this on your stomach? I have tried most of the usual sports drinks (poweraid, vitamin water etc..) and i got heartburn really bad (I threw up on the vitamin water once). I did just try Liquid IV same thing got really sick so that was money down the drain.

I found it easier on the stomach if its too salty i just add more water usually 32 oz with one packet is good enough. I tried liquid iv and normalyte and couldnt get them down it was a struggle.