POTS- recover after workout

Bailee

My physical therapist has me on a workout schedule and I was wondering if anyone has tips for recovering after working out. After I’m on my bike for 20 minutes I get a headache and then for the rest of the day I’m wiped out. Very symptomatic (dizzy,nausea) when upright. Good thing is the metoprolol is making my tachycardia go away but I’m still lightheaded after workouts that my physical therapist said should help improve my symptoms. I’m not doing anything too crazy heart rate staying between 110-120 on bike . It’s just after my workout that I’m very symptomatic. Should I bring this up to my doctor? I’ll link my schedule she’s created is it too much too soon. 5BB3448F-D928-44DA-9285-9F2E9C3379E2.jpeg.fe92927313f6577b9a01d3a661c1dffe.jpeg

Hi @Bailee you should definitely give that feedback to your PT and MD. In some ways this is similar to a program i am doing except the schedule is in intervals. So my first week I did 5-10 mins on recumbent bike warm-up followed by 4” cycling with some effort (as tolerated) then 3” active recovery at easier pace. This is repeated 4 times then another 5-10” recovery. It increases gradually weekly so the active intervals get longer. I feel worse and that is expected but it is getting better. I don’t think I could go full tilt for 25” to start off. It’s so hard to get going but it should make us feel better eventually, that’s what I keep telling myself when I want to get off the darn bike and lay down! 

52 minutes ago, Alex D. said:

I have used a Levine Protocol. This article is a good write up.

https://betterbythebeat.com/the-levine-protocol-for-exercising-with-pots/

Thanks for this. I've downloaded the CHOP program, read it, but have no idea what I'm supposed to do. 

The theories I've heard about exercise are that any program you start is going to make you feel worse for about a month before you feel better and also the exercise lecture during last year's DI Conf said that you have to stabilize any mast cell issues before starting an exercise program or it will fail. 

@Bailee - is this what your PT is hoping to WORK UP to or is expecting you to do NOW? Because this would absolutely be too much for anyone having spent time in a wheel chair. It would KILL me on a good day! Now - having said that - we all have different tolerance levels, but what we all have in common is that we have to take it easy when increasing our exercise tolerance. Please keep that in mind: slow and steady INCREASE wins the race!

Hi @Bailee Well i am not sure about what a PT does for us POTS folks but i can tell you what the Cardio Rehab program at the Hospital I go to does.

First they will do a intake and ask a number of questions and setup a goals, put you on a heart monitor (just to see what if anything is going on) and if there is time will get you onto the exercise equipment that was deemed appropriate (in my case it was the treadmill).

During my sessions they would always grab a starting bp, exercise bp and recovery bp. They also would monitor my heart just to see if there are concerns during the session. By collecting this data we could see how well my meds were working as well as how i was responding to the exercise this data also was useful to my Dr and was able to make changes to my meds.

The Girls at the facility are also very good at urging to excel at the program. 

I would go thru this again anytime.

Hope this helps

@Bailee - if your doctor is willing to order cardiac rehab I think that would be a much better alternative. They will monitor you while doing exercise and they will adjust the exercise to your abilities. @MikeO is a perfect example how much it can help someone with dysautonomia!