IBS & nausea

gertie

Among all the other symptoms I have, syncope being one of the worse, I also have colon spasms & nausea.  I usually have no appetite but when I do manage to eat I seem to always have colon spasms & nausea or vomiting.  I am allergic to most foods so I don't have a lot of choice in what I eat.  I don't think I eat too much at one time because I'm so afraid to eat now knowing what I may have to endure.

Is this a symptoms of Dysautonomia?  I'm thinking of trying CBD oil for relief but I'm not sure what kind to get or if it might make me worse.  I didn't think this could get worse but it has.  Any help appreciated.  Dr's have not been helpful.

Hi @gertie! I think the GI symptoms could possibly be related to dysautonomia, but if you have that many food allergies have you been checked for mastocytosis or mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS)? Your experiences sound more like that to me... Also, have you had food allergy testing to see if these are true IgE mediated allergies or not? 

Hi maggs, I have had extensive allergy testing done & was allergic to most everything.  I've thought I had MCAS  & my PCP did the only testing he was aware of which didn't sound right to me but he's the only physician I have so I didn't argue.  I researched MCAS & found that the treatment was certain antihistamines which I had tried.  The AH caused me to have seizures so I realized that was not the treatment for me.  

Thanks for taking time to reply.

I also have terrible issues with nausea and lack of appetite - I'm assuming you've tried all the usual stuff like ginger and dry crackers.  I find when the nausea is really bad I can only manage soup or yoghurt  but both of those can be quite nutritious depending on what flavours you choose. Zofran/Ondansetron is the only thing that allows me to eat without throwing up half an hour later.  I take 4-8mg half an hour before meals and it works most of the time although I still vomit 3-4 times a week.  The other med that helps me is Motilium/Domperidone - it helps with gastric motility and when my digestive system goes on strike in a flare it generally gets everything going again!  If you are having colon spasms because your colon is struggling to move food along it might help.  I don't know how people with MCAS/food allergies react to either of these drugs but I'd say it would be worth a shot if you can get a doctor to prescribe them (I know doctors in the US aren't that keen on Domperidone whereas in the UK it's seen as fine for short term use!).