How to learn meditation?

CallieAndToby

mindful.org has suggestions on different apps etc . 
I learnt mindfulness from my therapist but sometimes I find it hard to concentrate when I’m stressed ! I also do simple breathing and relaxation concentrating on one part of the body making it feel relaxed and heavy and slowly move from feet to head . Simple but helps my  HR and relax for bed 

@CallieAndToby22 - when I had severe problems with adrenaline surges, and couldn't sleep or rest, I taught myself to meditate. What had helped me was a white noise tape ( to cut back on distracting background noise ) and simply concentrating on my breathing. It took several attempts, but eventually I could get myself into a state of relaxation and even peacefulness. It is hard to turn off our internal dialogue ( thoughts etc ) when we have never done it before, but it is absolutely possible. Another really helpful trick that works for me is to sit with both feet on the ground, hands resting loosely in lap, and imagining that you are a tree trunk and your feet are your roots, and that you are soaking up energy from the ground. This sounds odd, but if you try it ( no one there to make fun of you! ) you will be surprised how relaxing it is!

What helps me also is to light a candle or two and drop some essential oil of lavender onto some lava beads. 

On 11/6/2021 at 4:45 PM, dancer65 said:

mindful.org has suggestions on different apps etc . 
I learnt mindfulness from my therapist but sometimes I find it hard to concentrate when I’m stressed ! I also do simple breathing and relaxation concentrating on one part of the body making it feel relaxed and heavy and slowly move from feet to head . Simple but helps my  HR and relax for bed 

On 11/7/2021 at 3:31 AM, Pistol said:

@CallieAndToby22 - when I had severe problems with adrenaline surges, and couldn't sleep or rest, I taught myself to meditate. What had helped me was a white noise tape ( to cut back on distracting background noise ) and simply concentrating on my breathing. It took several attempts, but eventually I could get myself into a state of relaxation and even peacefulness. It is hard to turn off our internal dialogue ( thoughts etc ) when we have never done it before, but it is absolutely possible. Another really helpful trick that works for me is to sit with both feet on the ground, hands resting loosely in lap, and imagining that you are a tree trunk and your feet are your roots, and that you are soaking up energy from the ground. This sounds odd, but if you try it ( no one there to make fun of you! ) you will be surprised how relaxing it is!

What helps me also is to light a candle or two and drop some essential oil of lavender onto some lava beads. 

Thank you. And thanks for all the responses. 

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I use the “Insight Timer” app. It has an incredible variety of free breathing exercises, lectures, sleep sides and meditation help! 
It’s changed my life and I use it every day!