Big Wood Pecker

MikeO

@MikeO - I have a pair of those living on my property. Since I was able to stand being outside this summer I spent a lot of time sitting on my porch with the binoculars watching ( and learning to identify ) birds. I found this to be a lot more interesting than I thought ( although my 17 year old daughter qualifies it as a definite "old people activity" ). Once I saw the pair climbing up a dead tree right by my house and I got a good look at them. 

I found that we have 3 types of wood peckers in our yard, and I identified 2 types of owls, hawks, a bald eagle, loads of song birds, 2 mocking birds, grouse, turkey and much, much more. What I also found fascinating is the nesting habits. I watched a pair of blue birds hatch their family in a hollow fence post right across from my porch, so I got to really study them. One day the hatchlings were gone ( not sure if they flew the coop or if a snake or fox got them ). The Daddy blue bird was so upset, he kept looking into the fence post and hollering loudly! This went on for days. 

Thanks for sharing the picture! I love it ☺️!

@PistolI can watch the birds for hours on end. My fondest encounter was with a hummingbird. One day it was raining fairly steady and a hummingbird was hanging out on the feeder. Another one flew up and tried to pull the poor little one off the feeder (was a sight to see) well the little one became exhausted resisting and fell to the ground. So i ran outside and it let me pick it up and set it onto a tree. It was Assume!

• 1 month later...