Anticholinergic Drug Exposure and the Risk of Dementia

MikeO

I know this subject has been around a while but, does anyone ever worry about certain drugs increasing your risk to Dementia?

I was just at my Doc's office last week and were discussing my allergic reactions to certain stuff and he strongly discouraged me from taking Benadryl long term or at all he would rather have me take a Claritin or put me on prednisone if i need something for a longer duration . He also will not renew my Tizanidine which is a strong anticholinergic drug (i am going to miss this one because it worked)

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2736353

I’ve also been concerned with this mostly because I have a brain injury which led to my dysautonomia.  I’ve also read some articles on the connection to cognitive decline using certain classes of anticholinergic drugs of which diphenhydramine (ie Benadryl) is worrisome. Other classes of which Zyrtec and Claritin seem to belong are low risk and newest class of antihistamines like Allegra are supposed to be no risk.  Since I already have cognitive problems from my injury, I try not to intentionally do anything to make my brain worse. I take antihistamines daily so I can’t risk any further cognitive decline due to anticholinergic drugs.  

53 minutes ago, Bergbrow said:

I’ve also been concerned with this mostly because I have a brain injury which led to my dysautonomia.  I’ve also read some articles on the connection to cognitive decline using certain classes of anticholinergic drugs of which diphenhydramine (ie Benadryl) is worrisome. Other classes of which Zyrtec and Claritin seem to belong are low risk and newest class of antihistamines like Allegra are supposed to be no risk.  Since I already have cognitive problems from my injury, I try not to intentionally do anything to make my brain worse. I take antihistamines daily so I can’t risk any further cognitive decline due to anticholinergic drugs.  

Thanks for queuing in! I also looked at the rxlist for the more seasoned folks in age. anticholinergic drugs are discouraged.