Jump to content

Good News! made it back into cardio rehab.


Recommended Posts

I had reached out to my nurse at the rehab facility. we were not sure if i could get in again. She called today and we discussed what is going on and she made it happen. I start on Friday. I do have to say their is not too many folks like her. Tammy did identify with my vascular issues. She is just not hopeful she can help the damage that has been done but we will try. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations! I went through cardiac rehab at a great facility. My electrophysiologist had told me to teach them how to handle a patient like me and they were really receptive and I never had any side-effects from the program. Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well my intake was put off for a week due to covid. it should happen this Friday but rehab is only scheduling out 4 sessions in anticipation to having to shut down. Dam this has happened to me in march of 2019. we should start a zoom exercise program.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, POTSie78 said:

Can I ask what cardiac rehab is like?  My neurologist at Mayo said I either need to see their cardiologist or at least go to cardiac rehab.  

Facility that i go to has a pretty good program. The initial intake the nurse will assess your physical and mental condition as well as your health history.

They will then get your vitals so BP, HR and O2 and hook you up to a heart monitor. From there you will start exercising on whatever equipment your RN determined is right for you. Most folks will split their time on the treadmill and the nustep or stationary bike. I just go on the treadmill as i can not tolerate the nustep. The program here will also have you lift light weights and do some stretches.

The nurses are also keeping a close eye on how you are doing and will be looking for any issues with your heart rhythm etc... and will take whatever action if needed (for me it is always a note to my dr for my messed up  bp)

Rehab imo is worth the effort. I think of it as a safe place to get my needed exercise and catch any issues that may be lurking. It can also be a fun social get together at times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MikeO said:

Facility that i go to has a pretty good program. The initial intake the nurse will assess your physical and mental condition as well as your health history.

They will then get your vitals so BP, HR and O2 and hook you up to a heart monitor. From there you will start exercising on whatever equipment your RN determined is right for you. Most folks will split their time on the treadmill and the nustep or stationary bike. I just go on the treadmill as i can not tolerate the nustep. The program here will also have you lift light weights and do some stretches.

The nurses are also keeping a close eye on how you are doing and will be looking for any issues with your heart rhythm etc... and will take whatever action if needed (for me it is always a note to my dr for my messed up  bp)

Rehab imo is worth the effort. I think of it as a safe place to get my needed exercise and catch any issues that may be lurking. It can also be a fun social get together at times.

Thank you for the great info.  It sounds like a really good thing. I never thought I'd go from a fit active person to this at 43 😒  I hope you get your appointment soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2021 at 3:28 PM, POTSie78 said:

I never thought I'd go from a fit active person to this at 43 😒

@POTSie78 - oh, I sympathize! I went from multi-tasking mother/wife/nurse at 42 to complete cripple! Couldnt stand without fainting or having seizures at work or anywhere, always in ER or hospital, seeing specialists all over the states, eventually becoming fully disabled and home bound ... it was a tour-de-force of fighting my life, my body, my faith. But eventually I gained acceptance, which is the very most important step for us to come to terms with our new reality. Today I live a good life again - yes, with extreme limitations but what matters on life is still here, everyday. And I have a newfound appreciation for my bodies ability to adapt and to "outsmart" the dysfunction! 

Wishing you peace of mind and the realization that many of us have found ways to live good lives despite our illnesses. Hugs!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well Day 2 bp's changed a bit 198/96 to start. 145/83 at the end and i did not pass out or fall (Haha). I did change up when i take my meds to the evening. My diastolic pressures did go down. Not sure what to think. end of the day if the nurses don't see an improvement in the blood pressures they will get involved. Three nurses against one intake is not fair (lol) glad they are looking out for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@MikeO Those are high BP readings. I can see why you had 3 nurses! Can you take your meds twice a day? That’s what I do with an extra beta blocker sweetener in the evening for supine hypertension. I do know that my BP goes up, sometimes scary high after walking around or exercising. I just stopped checking it then with the blessing of my former cardiologist. He said since mine drops while sitting and isn’t sustained it’s ok. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, p8d said:

@MikeO Those are high BP readings. I can see why you had 3 nurses! Can you take your meds twice a day? That’s what I do with an extra beta blocker sweetener in the evening for supine hypertension. I do know that my BP goes up, sometimes scary high after walking around or exercising. I just stopped checking it then with the blessing of my former cardiologist. He said since mine drops while sitting and isn’t sustained it’s ok. 

@p8dreadings are totally high. Nurses did joke around that i may have been a bit excited to be be around them (Haha) but that is not the case i see these bp's at home as well. as i write this i am at 126/81  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day 4 of rehab went pretty well. I switched my meds to just before bed in hopes that i would have better bp readings in the morning rehab sessions. Seems to be working i squeezed a 166/90 pre exercise and a 146/89 post exercise. still well over goal but i step at a time.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, cmep37 said:

@MikeOhope you get some good results from your appointment - those BP numbers are concerning.

Yes we are working on it. my bp tonight is 99/68 this morning was 134/87. rehab was 170/98 and 156/89 so go figure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well bp's have been holding out at the 166 to 155 range at rehab. The bad is i did black out while on the treadmill today. Nurses had a fit, sure there is going to be more to the story. Last thing i remember is natalie yelling mike!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@MikeO - I switched from metoprolol to Carvelidol and it was a life saver! Carvelidol has alpha and beta influencing properties, so it really helped with my BP and especially with all of the extra beats. I started on 3.125 mg twice a day and then gradually increased to a total of 25 mg twice a day. But I am back on only 6.25 mg twice a day now, since I see great effects from hydroxyxhloroquine and IV fluids. Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well results from my heart ultra sound are in. the good news overall looked fine but they did note finding a Lipomatous hypertrophy of the
interatrial septum so i am kinda panicked about this.

Cardiologist also wants to do a stress test and a 24hr ambulatory bp monitor. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...