Association between autonomic dysfunction and atherosclerosis

MikeO

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

@MikeO - I do not think they are connected, but I can imagine that one could make the other one worse. 

Guess i am targeting inflammation. It is the worst thing for your vascular system IMO. By no means do i know how a body works but i can't image if your SNS is in constant overdrive your system relaxes enough to bring down bad effects. I know i am (Neuro) has been proven but i also have had POTS like symptoms (super secret POTS) for years while on Lisinopril. Now i am starting to second guess my question. but i am assuming intolerances to whatever that gets one SNS going does not have a healthy outcome.   

@MikeO - yes, chronic inflammation DOES affect dysautonomia. Vascular disease does not necessarily mean inflammation, though. So if you are asking if inflammation does affect dysautonomia - I totally believe so b/c in my case treating inflammation also improved the dysautonomia symptoms to a degree. However - do I think dysautonomia and atherosclerosis are connected? No, I do not. 

8 hours ago, Sushi said:

There are some recent studies about the association with vascular stiffness

Hi Sushi Thanks for the suggestion i did find a few studies suggesting a link between (if i read into these correctly) vascular stiffness and AF (autonomic failure)

15 hours ago, Pistol said:

So if you are asking if inflammation does affect dysautonomia - I totally believe so b/c in my case treating inflammation also improved the dysautonomia symptoms to a degree

Hi I did find a recent study done by the University of Toledo ( https://www.mdpi.com/2077-0383/10/4/623/pdf )

In conclusion, our study demonstrated that, in a small group of POTS patients, there were elevations of cytokines and chemokines characteristic of an innate immune condition, similar to autoimmune diseases including RA, SLE, psoriasis, systemic sclerosis, multiple sclerosis, and type-1 diabetes [48,75,76]. We believe that the identification of increased levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines IL-1β, IL-21, TNFα, INFα, and TNF receptor (CD30) in POTS patients with autoantibodies against adrenergic and cholinergic muscarinic receptors is highly suggestive of a coexisting inflammatory process that contributes to the disorder and requires further study.