Loss. "So long, so long".

CallieAndToby

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

So sorry @CallieAndToby22! I know how much it hurts to loose your best friend! 

6 hours ago, Jyoti said:

Nothing quite like it, in my experience.  Take your pain seriously, give yourself all the time you need and can to grieve your beloved Callie and be gentle with yourself.  I am so so sorry.

Thank you both. I don't have social media so I'm glad I could share this here and get support. And you can see of course that she and my last living dog make up my screen-name not just here but many places. :(

@CallieAndToby22 - we only get shelter animals, cats or dogs. When my last dog, a lab, died from old age my husband wanted to wait before getting a new dog. I couldn't wait any longer than 3 months and we got our current shepard mix, Pal. she turned out to be the best dog one could ever have, calm and sweet and smart. She now is getting old and we are waiting for her to get to the point of no return. When that comes my husband wants to wait again but not I - I have found that getting a new dog right away helps with the grief. Especially of you are left without ANY dog! So I will give him a few months to grief and then - off to check the local shelters! --- I hope your dog toby doesn't miss Callie too much? 

On 8/5/2021 at 5:31 AM, Pistol said:

@CallieAndToby22 - we only get shelter animals, cats or dogs. When my last dog, a lab, died from old age my husband wanted to wait before getting a new dog. I couldn't wait any longer than 3 months and we got our current shepard mix, Pal. she turned out to be the best dog one could ever have, calm and sweet and smart. She now is getting old and we are waiting for her to get to the point of no return. When that comes my husband wants to wait again but not I - I have found that getting a new dog right away helps with the grief. Especially of you are left without ANY dog! So I will give him a few months to grief and then - off to check the local shelters! --- I hope your dog toby doesn't miss Callie too much? 

I only get shelter dogs too. Both Callie and Toby were from the shelter. Yea Toby hasn't really realized what's going on but in time I think he will miss her as they were best friends....... Here's a photo from 7 years ago when they were young and spry. :) 

16016062734_2af47d1838_o.jpg

On 8/12/2021 at 10:29 AM, CallieAndToby22 said:

Thanks. Just reminding myself she had a good life. We rescued her from a pretty rough situation but I think in return they rescue us as well. 

I think that's what matters. She had a great life with you. We all know they're not gonna be with us for long.