MikeO

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I made pork chops in the instant pot yesterday! Salt and pepper chops, saute until brown, add chopped onion and garlic as well as one chopped apple, add 1/2 cup chicken broth, thyme, lock lid and cook on manual for 8 minutes. Vent naturally, remove chops, add cornstarch slurry to gravy ( if the gravy is chunky you can puree it ) and - voila! Yum - and so easy!

On 10/4/2021 at 3:32 AM, Pistol said:

I made pork chops in the instant pot yesterday! Salt and pepper chops, saute until brown, add chopped onion and garlic as well as one chopped apple, add 1/2 cup chicken broth, thyme, lock lid and cook on manual for 8 minutes. Vent naturally, remove chops, add cornstarch slurry to gravy ( if the gravy is chunky you can puree it ) and - voila! Yum - and so easy!

Pistol that is so smart! what can you make with an instant pot? i like making large roasts and stuff so i can graze on it over a few days.

@MikeO - there is sooo much stuff you can make in one! And it cooks so quick! You can make baked potatoes in a few minutes, chili or any soup in a fraction of the time, roasts, any meat ... I like it because I cannot stand at the stove for very long. When I prep all the ingredients I am already spent. So the instapot is so handy - put it all in, set it and go lay down. When it beeps everything is done. And you can buy instapot cook books, I have a few.

@MikeO - here is a delicious, easy crockpot recipe a friend sent me - it is sooooo delicious! 

3-4 lb chuck or bottom round beef roast

1 package Au Jus mix

1 package dry Ranch dressing mix

5 - 6 pepperoncini

The recipe does not call for this but I add 1/2 cup water

put roast in crockpot, add other ingredients, cover, cook on low for 8 hours. It is just soooo good! It makes it own gravy. ( I would not try this if you have to watch your salt intake )

On 10/11/2021 at 3:46 AM, Pistol said:

@MikeO - here is a delicious, easy crockpot recipe a friend sent me - it is sooooo delicious! 

3-4 lb chuck or bottom round beef roast

1 package Au Jus mix

1 package dry Ranch dressing mix

5 - 6 pepperoncini

The recipe does not call for this but I add 1/2 cup water

put roast in crockpot, add other ingredients, cover, cook on low for 8 hours. It is just soooo good! It makes it own gravy. ( I would not try this if you have to watch your salt intake )

Must.Resist.Urge.To.Comment :) @Pistolthis sounds really good would have never thought of it. In fact i think i have everything except for the pepperoni. You right on the salt, for now i need to hold off. I do have a craving for sloppy joes topped with dill pickle chips and potato chips hmm...wonder what for dinner.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@MikeO - I have a recipe for you for my mons german goulash. I will make it today for company, despite the fact that I am not very well currently, but it is great because it takes hours to simmer but not a lot of actual work! So here it is: 

- 2-3 lbs beef cubes ( I use bottom round, cut up )

- 2 onions, diced

-3 green peppers, diced

- lots ( I mean LOADS ) of crushed garlic cloves

- Tomato paste

- Salt, Pepper, Smoked Paprika, cayenne pepper, Cumin, coriander

Brown beef in olive oil, remove from pot, sautee onions and peppers. When they start to brown and stick to the pan add meat back in, add garlic, sautee for one minute. Turn down heat, add 2 tablespoons Tomatopaste. Add 2 cups water, turn heat to simmer and let cook, uncovered. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Add seasonings to your taste, but go heavy on the paprika. When water gets low add another cup or two, and keep cooking until meat is tender and veggies have cooked into a sauce. 

After about 2 1/2 or 3 hours of low simmering it should be done. Thicken with corn starch slurry. Serve over egg noodles, mashed potatoes or rice. I also serve home made onion bread with it, to sop up the delicious gravy! 

You can also make this in the insta pot, but its way better on the stove! 

On 11/11/2021 at 2:42 AM, Pistol said:

@MikeO - I have a recipe for you for my mons german goulash. I will make it today for company, despite the fact that I am not very well currently, but it is great because it takes hours to simmer but not a lot of actual work! So here it is: 

- 2-3 lbs beef cubes ( I use bottom round, cut up )

- 2 onions, diced

-3 green peppers, diced

- lots ( I mean LOADS ) of crushed garlic cloves

- Tomato paste

- Salt, Pepper, Smoked Paprika, cayenne pepper, Cumin, coriander

Brown beef in olive oil, remove from pot, sautee onions and peppers. When they start to brown and stick to the pan add meat back in, add garlic, sautee for one minute. Turn down heat, add 2 tablespoons Tomatopaste. Add 2 cups water, turn heat to simmer and let cook, uncovered. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Add seasonings to your taste, but go heavy on the paprika. When water gets low add another cup or two, and keep cooking until meat is tender and veggies have cooked into a sauce. 

After about 2 1/2 or 3 hours of low simmering it should be done. Thicken with corn starch slurry. Serve over egg noodles, mashed potatoes or rice. I also serve home made onion bread with it, to sop up the delicious gravy! 

You can also make this in the insta pot, but its way better on the stove! 

@Pistol This sparked my appetite kinda did my own take.

Used 2 lbs beef round cubed

1 medium onion just sliced

3 garlic cloves (add more to our liking)

2 cans cream of mushroom soup

2 cans of beef broth

Note i double up on the soup and beef broth so i have extra gravy to use later with other dishes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

Next flour the beef cubes and brown in a dutch oven and remove when done.

Toss in the onions on high heat and deglaze the pan with a bit of beef broth then throw in the garlic.

Add the remaining ingredients and cook covered for 1 hour.

Next uncover the dutch oven (to thicken up the sauce) and cook for an hour or so more. Be sure to stir occasionally. 

beef.thumb.jpg.f33894c88d136293a8a733ea1efe8591.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

@MikeO - my mother-in-law makes hamburger soup. I will eat it IF LEAN BURGER IS USED. I also know you can make stuffed pepper soup ( with everything that goes into stuffed peppers, including hamburger ) that is delicious.