Headache Remedies

Knellie

Where I live, it has started getting really hot, which is killing me. I already have "chronic migraines" as they call it, but the heat is making it so much worse because of my dysautonomia (today it is 98 degrees and is getting hotter😓.) I have taken Tylenol almost everyday in the past two weeks, which I know is a horrible habit, so I am trying to find some other ways to make my headaches better. So far I have tried drinking ginger herbal tea (which only makes me hotter, so that doesn't work great), a neck massager to see if it is a neck headache (it apparently isn't, but my shoulders and neck were so painful during that I was almost screaming), and drinking lots of water. Nothing has worked so far, so I was wondering if y'all have any good suggestions for headache remedies that aren't painkillers? Thanks in advance!!

It’s not good to take any migraine pain kill, including Tylenol, for several days in a row because it causes rebound headaches. I have suffered these and feel for you. I take prescription Fioricet but only 2 days a week. I also use a product IceKap, there are several versions that are just what it sounds like—ice packs in a hat. They work remarkably well. The other thing I recently started is daily LDN. That has decreased my frequent, heat related migraines a lot. 

@Knellie - have you tried cooling vests or wrist bands? You can also put a wet wash cloth in the freezer and put it around your neck ( this COULD make your migraine worse ) or around your wrist, there are a lot of vessels right under the skin and the cooled blood gets circulated fast to cool down the body. 

I use a headband called the Halo from Koldtec- it comes with removable engineered ice packs that you can customize for thickness. I love it- it’s really helped when I’m having bad headache days. I also use a roller called Migrasoothe- it’s essentially peppermint oil, so you could always try that as well, but it also helps a lot! I’ve also found that edible peppermint beadlets help me as well- you let them burst near the front of your mouth and it creates a wave of a cooling sensation throughout your face and head- so relieving! I used those a lot when I first became symptomatic and my headaches were so bad I could barely keep my eyes open. I hope this helps, and I hope you get some relief very soon. ❤️

My migraines ended up being from Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. Histamine blockers made it better including Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN). Nothing else helped with migraine headaches. Excedrin Migraine used to make them mildly better. Hope you find a doctor willing to help you. I also used breathing techniques to try to force my autonomic nervous system to relax.