OCD and Dysautonomia

Yes I developed OCD many years ago after dysautonomia. To be honest, anti depressants have not helped but therapy has helped. What I've noticed is that when I get saline iv's and more blood flow to my brain the OCD lessens and sometimes disappears. I don't think the anti depressants have made my adrenal function worse but my adrenals are definitely out of control, is that an issue with you? I only mention it because there may be a connection b/w adrenals and OCD. What are your OCD thoughts? I feel for anyone dealing with both, they seem to make each other worse, and I know the torment that OCD is so I just want to express I'm sorry you're dealing with this. What anti depressants have you tried? The best therapy is exposure response prevention but I'm working on schema therapy right now and I just talk to my therapist via phone. It also turns out my brother is dealing with OCPD which is different but similar with intrusive thoughts and compulsions. Edit: Wanted to add that I take Luvox which is not a well known ssri but it is said to be the most effective for OCD, well at least from a doctor I worked with for 8 years. 

I’m so sorry you have to deal with both conditions. 😣 I have OCD and dysautonomia as well, and I know how debilitating they both can be. I do feel that my OCD has worsened since developing dysautonomia; although we believe I’ve had it my whole life (as most do according to my therapist because there is a genetic component), I’ve never had it even remotely as bad as I have since becoming sick. I’d assume that having autonomic dysfunction can play a role, especially if you’re not getting as much blood flow to the brain. I do also have PCOS, so for me there is a hormonal component that I think affects things as well.
I am so sensitive to meds that we’ve tried to keep me away from antidepressants, as the last time I was on one I had side effects that my therapist and I both don’t want me experiencing again. As the previous individual who responded said, exposure response prevention is supposed to be the gold standard treatment. I’ve been doing ERP with my therapist and it has helped a lot. Unfortunately, with OCD the only way “out” seems to be through, much like dysautonomia in that you kind of have to ride the waves, which ERP teaches you to do. My counselor did also recommend NAC (N-acetylcysteine) for me to help with the OCD; obviously not medical advice, but I have been taking it and I am doing much better than before. Of course everyone is different and you should talk to your therapist or doctor before trying anything. I hope you can find some relief from your symptoms and feel more at peace very soon. ❤️

6 hours ago, Pupmum25 said:

I’m so sorry you have to deal with both conditions. 😣 I have OCD and dysautonomia as well, and I know how debilitating they both can be. I do feel that my OCD has worsened since developing dysautonomia; although we believe I’ve had it my whole life (as most do according to my therapist because there is a genetic component), I’ve never had it even remotely as bad as I have since becoming sick. I’d assume that having autonomic dysfunction can play a role, especially if you’re not getting as much blood flow to the brain. I do also have PCOS, so for me there is a hormonal component that I think affects things as well.
I am so sensitive to meds that we’ve tried to keep me away from antidepressants, as the last time I was on one I had side effects that my therapist and I both don’t want me experiencing again. As the previous individual who responded said, exposure response prevention is supposed to be the gold standard treatment. I’ve been doing ERP with my therapist and it has helped a lot. Unfortunately, with OCD the only way “out” seems to be through, much like dysautonomia in that you kind of have to ride the waves, which ERP teaches you to do. My counselor did also recommend NAC (N-acetylcysteine) for me to help with the OCD; obviously not medical advice, but I have been taking it and I am doing much better than before. Of course everyone is different and you should talk to your therapist or doctor before trying anything. I hope you can find some relief from your symptoms and feel more at peace very soon. ❤️

OCD does seem to have a genetic and hormonal component as my hormones are all over the place and they're trying to figure out what's going on..... My grandmother had OCPD which now my brother has and my aunt is a hoarder, another form of OCD but for sure my health problems have made it so much worse. I too am extremely sensitive to medication and supplements and vitamins so it's difficult but finding a good therapist is a great route to take!