Questions about compression garments

So, I was recently diagnosed with Hyper POTS after covid infection in February.  My cardiologist told me to wear knee high compression socks and/or an abdominal binder. I have issues with the socks while wearing shoes due to nerve pain in my foot and toes so I also got footless, high waisted compression tights. He said that was also fine. 

My problem is I twice now forgot to ask how often or when I am supposed to be wearing some kind of compression. Generally I wear the socks all the time except when leaving the house, then I wear the tights. I put on the binder when I get up in the morning and take it off a coupe hours before bed. Sometimes I get itchy and tired of the socks and take them off at night too. 

Im wondering how much or when do others wear their compression gear. Also, I get a sharp pains that I think is muscle pain after I take it off...is that normal or should I be concerned?

Yes, I agree with @POTSie78 - usually it is recommended to wear compression garments all day and to take them off at night. Thigh-high is recommended - generally the knee-high is not providing enough compression for POTS, it is mostly used for prevention of blood clots in the legs. For POTS purposes the more area is compressed the better the results. 

Thanks! I was mostly confused about whether or not to wear them while sleeping. Im still in the process of buying more tights, as I quickly realized they were a better choice than socks, but expensive! Oof.

I figured the pain was probably normal, it makes sense, but it eases my brain to ask. 

Everyone else is correct about wearing them all the time. I have a great abdominal binder that I wear when I know I am going to be upright for long. I do take it off if I am going to be sitting in the recliner and not up and about much. It really helps. I will send you a PM with the brand. 

On 6/3/2021 at 2:05 PM, p8d said:

Everyone else is correct about wearing them all the time. I have a great abdominal binder that I wear when I know I am going to be upright for long. I do take it off if I am going to be sitting in the recliner and not up and about much. It really helps. I will send you a PM with the brand. 

Could you please send me a PM on the brand as well? I need one and hate to just try a bunch without recommendations.

Every time I try a compression garment, my toes, feet or legs go numb and ice cold. I have never found one that didn't cut off circulation.

Also, how do you wear compression around your waist when you have gastroparesis? I start out comfortable in my clothes, but as soon as I eat or drink anything my stomach starts inflating and my clothes get too tight and uncomfortable. When I used to work, I would not drink or eat so that I could still wear my clothes by the end of the day.