Beta Blockers for P.O.T.S. (and asthmatics)

I've heard a lot about certain beta blockers being a no no for pots patients and a lot about certain ones being off limits for asthmatics. I know it's all trial and error, but any info/experience would be appreciated. I'm also a bit nervous about trying one (I have severe asthma that is not well controlled). Anybody who was also nervous about trying them sharing their experience would be helpful to me as well. Thank you! 

I've also taken metoprolol for years and never had a problem with it. It was the first med they tried for me while I was in hospital after my POTS came on (after childbirth). At the time I had no hesitation or fear of trying new meds so I quite happily took it and didn't even read up on any side effects. I take my dose every morning, but if I'm having a particularly bad day or a bad episode, I may take another dose in the afternoon / evening. Again, no issues with two doses.

Unfortunately, I've since developed a fear of taking any new meds (I think this comes from not wanting to make a POTS flareup any worse than it currently is). It's hard, as I have been prescribed Midodrine a couple of times and have never had the nerve to take it, even though it could very well help. So I totally understand your apprehension with new drugs. 

I don't suffer from asthma, so cannot comment on that aspect.

13 minutes ago, bizbiz said:

I've also taken metoprolol for years and never had a problem with it. It was the first med they tried for me while I was in hospital after my POTS came on (after childbirth). At the time I had no hesitation or fear of trying new meds so I quite happily took it and didn't even read up on any side effects. I take my dose every morning, but if I'm having a particularly bad day or a bad episode, I may take another dose in the afternoon / evening. Again, no issues with two doses.

Unfortunately, I've since developed a fear of taking any new meds (I think this comes from not wanting to make a POTS flareup any worse than it currently is). It's hard, as I have been prescribed Midodrine a couple of times and have never had the nerve to take it, even though it could very well help. So I totally understand your apprehension with new drugs. 

I don't suffer from asthma, so cannot comment on that aspect.

My pots came on after a childbirth too! Did you have any complications with delivery?

1 hour ago, carissalovesbooks said:

My pots came on after a childbirth too! Did you have any complications with delivery?

No - labour and deliver were quite straightforward, albeit very long. I hadn't realised I had POTS at that stage, although I had symptoms for a year or two prior, just not enough to interfere with daily life.

6 hours ago, bizbiz said:

Unfortunately, I've since developed a fear of taking any new meds (I think this comes from not wanting to make a POTS flareup any worse than it currently is). It's hard, as I have been prescribed Midodrine a couple of times and have never had the nerve to take it, even though it could very well help.

I have HPOTS and many drugs commonly ordered for POTS make my symptoms worse. However - I took Midodrine ( which did not help for my symptoms at all ) but had no negative side effects from it. It does cause a strange tingly feeling on the scalp but no otherwise unpleasant side effects. It is very short-acting, therefore it is safe to take even if you don;t benefit from it. I would not hesitate to give it a try!

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I have HPOTS and many drugs commonly ordered for POTS make my symptoms worse. However - I took Midodrine ( which did not help for my symptoms at all ) but had no negative side effects from it. It does cause a strange tingly feeling on the scalp but no otherwise unpleasant side effects. It is very short-acting, therefore it is safe to take even if you don;t benefit from it. I would not hesitate to give it a try!

Thank you! Slowly building up my courage one positive post / story at a time! 😉

I have had several asthma-like attacks (though not officially diagnosed with it yet) and, yes, some types of B-blockers can be very bad for that. The non-selective (such as propranolol, which I was on until just recently) are the worst, as they can constrict the bronchial tubes. I was just switched to metoprolol, which is cardiac-selective, and have had none of the airway constriction with it. I've only noticed minor side effects (drowsiness, etc.) and am only on a tiny dose, but it works really well to keep my HR down. 

I have exercise-induced asthma and I was on propranolol for a while and had no problem with it. It just did not help my POTS at all so I got off of it after about a month.