shaking uncontrollably

gertie

Do any of you ever do this?  When I get to thinking about all the physical health problems I have & am unable to take medication that might help.  I'm highly allergic & also have kidney disease which limits my food & meds.  I've been having awful IBS symptoms with pain & vomiting, can't eat.   Sometimes in the middle of the night I wake & start shaking so hard I can't stop.  I think it makes my POTS worse.  If you have this problem what do you do to get yourself under control?  Thanks

I am really sorry to hear this @gertie. I shake like this too in a flare - I think there is just so much adrenaline in my system that shaking is the only way that my body knows to burn some of it off.  There is nothing I can do to stop it, I just have to wait it out!  When I am in a major flare it is full body tremors, as the flare subsides it normally only affects my hands or legs.   Previous doctors tried to tell me it was anxiety/psychological but my current GP agrees with my adrenaline theory.  I got very distressed the first few times it happened but now I just try to stay calm and know that eventually it will go away - panicking about it generally makes it last longer....   

I have got a weighted blanket (after conversations on this forum) and whilst it doesn't stop the tremors it does help them not feel so intense.  I also try to do square breathing when I feel panicky (breathe in for 4, hold for 4, breathe out for 4, hold for 4) - I find focusing on the counting helps calm me down.  Most of the time I find I feel worse if I don't understand why my body is reacting like it is so knowing that my body is shaking because it is burning off excess adrenaline helps.

I find heating my core, with an electric heat pad, helps (even though it is my legs that are often shaking)
(I don't feel cold, but the heat still helps)

Also, I find that the muscles that are shaking are often quite sore and if I massage them the shaking improves. The massaging can take a bit of time to work. Also it seems to need repetition. So I might massage 15seconds, and 5m later do the same, etc etc.

I experience this when I'm going through a major flare (like now 😔). Usually wake in the middle of the night or early morning, heart starts racing followed closely by the shaking. If I'm up for too long and start feeling faint then more often than not I will also have the shakes afterwards. I've always assumed it was an adrenaline rush and allow my body to 'shake' it out. 

I haven't found anything that really helps, but staying as calm as possible usually makes them pass faster. This can be quite difficult as they can be really frightening and it's hard not to let thoughts race while in the midst of one. I try to slow my breathing and take comfort in the thought that the episode will (hopefully) be over soon. 

I'm really sorry you are going through this. I know how awful and frightening it feels, especially during the middle of the night.

• 1 month later...