COVID-19 Vaccine Effects

I have had some Diabetic Neuropathy diagnosed for several years.  EMG documentation subsequent to painful feet and toes in 2006.  Since that time I have had my BGs under far better control but the Neuropathy continues to develop.  I have experienced Orthostatic Hypotensive issues on rare occasion since 2012 with Syncope only once in 2013.  I have learned to "Sit Down before I Fall Down" when I feel weak and a little dizzy.

This month, on February 9, 2021, I received the first injection of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine at my local Veterans Medical Center.  Had NO apparent immediate side effects.  The next morning, my wife and I went to the gym for a brief workout.  I only spent about 2 minutes on the recombinant bike before I felt weak.  I took a break and sat down for 10 minutes waiting for my wife to finish her workout.  Upon standing, I felt dizzy and very weak for just a few seconds before I lost consciousness.  

My wife was able to get me back up immediately and took me to the ER.  Everything was good, with no problems other than the possibility of some very minor dehydration.  

I have been suffering with substantial OH since with 2 additional Syncopal Episodes over the past week.  I am now working with my Cardiologist to adjust my BP meds, but it is a confusing balance.

Has anyone experienced similar issues from the COVID Vaccines?

Unfortunate that you're dealing with this. This type of thing is something a lot of us deal with regularly, so if you're asking if the vaccines have caused worse flare ups than usual, I believe there may be a thread around here for vaccine experiences somewhere. I don't think you'll find anyone here (yet) that went from healthy to POTS only due to the vaccine. Really hoping this isn't starting a trend or we might see more like yourself in the future. 

What most of us already here are looking for is if the vaccine is causing our already existing POTS to flare up. There doesn't seem to be a universal answer so far. I've seen people I thought to be perfectly healthy struggle with the vaccine, but also have read several stories of people who I'd expect might have issues and didn't at all. 

13 hours ago, Mik Thundercloud said:

I have had some Diabetic Neuropathy diagnosed for several years.  EMG documentation subsequent to painful feet and toes in 2006.  Since that time I have had my BGs under far better control but the Neuropathy continues to develop.  I have experienced Orthostatic Hypotensive issues on rare occasion since 2012 with Syncope only once in 2013.  I have learned to "Sit Down before I Fall Down" when I feel weak and a little dizzy.

This month, on February 9, 2021, I received the first injection of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine at my local Veterans Medical Center.  Had NO apparent immediate side effects.  The next morning, my wife and I went to the gym for a brief workout.  I only spent about 2 minutes on the recombinant bike before I felt weak.  I took a break and sat down for 10 minutes waiting for my wife to finish her workout.  Upon standing, I felt dizzy and very weak for just a few seconds before I lost consciousness.  

My wife was able to get me back up immediately and took me to the ER.  Everything was good, with no problems other than the possibility of some very minor dehydration.  

I have been suffering with substantial OH since with 2 additional Syncopal Episodes over the past week.  I am now working with my Cardiologist to adjust my BP meds, but it is a confusing balance.

Has anyone experienced similar issues from the COVID Vaccines?

Exercise is the biggest trigger for dysautonomia and when combined with anything else unusual our bodies don’t handle it well.  Whenever I fall outside of my normal  POTS-friendly routine - whether it is to fly on a plane or to drink alcohol or to get a flu shot - I definitely pause exercise for a few days  and just rest.   I hope you feel better soon.

• 2 weeks later...

So sorry you've been having some issues. I was wondering myself how my body would react. I've had HYPER POTS for about 10 years now (since diagnosis anyway), and I just received the first Moderna dose on Saturday. I think I've been more tired (slept more for sure) and sore arm, but that was it. I was actually thinking today that I feel pretty darn good, so not sure if that's partially mental because I'm excited, something about it actually made me feel ultimately better, or if I finally got enough sleep! lol

I do have to say that I have gotten the flu vaccine two years in a row, and also have never had an issue with that. So I think I typically don't, even with the dysautonomia.