Breakfast suggestions

Sarah Tee

I have been trying to eat a low-carbohydrate breakfast (or mini-breakfasts spread out as snacks) because my symptoms seem to start after eating in the morning.

But I'm struggling as to what to eat because I have a some restrictions.

First, I feel pretty blah in the morning, so I need something unchallenging. Second, I can't eat egg in any quantity. Third, I can only eat medium or low fibre foods. (This is all because of some bowel surgery that has gone astray, not dysautonomia.)

Fourth, I'm vegetarian (but even if I wasn't, I don't think I could face meaty or fishy things for breakfast).

What do you eat for breakfast and snacks if you have to watch your diet for dysautonomia reasons?

My best effort so far was grilled tomatoes with cheese on top. It was a little hard to face but I think it might have helped.

Those are a lot of constraints. I would do a google search on Vegetarian Keto or Vegan Keto. They do exist, although it's a lot harder. 

@Sarah Tee - I eat a lot of protein bars for breakfast, like Clif, Kind or Lara bars. Bananas also make a good tummy-filler. And - you could look up recipes for Low fiber muffins - they are delicious!

Bananas aren't low carb though, at all. Those are tough diet restrictions. I hope Sarah finds something she can live with day in and day out. Avocados might be a better choice. IDK. I had a hard enough time just with Keto. Without meat/fish, I couldn't do it. 

5 hours ago, Pistol said:

@Sarah Tee - I eat a lot of protein bars for breakfast, like Clif, Kind or Lara bars. Bananas also make a good tummy-filler. And - you could look up recipes for Low fiber muffins - they are delicious!

Oh, I hadn't thought of protein bars. Will definitely give them a try. I could bake and freeze some muffins too.

1 hour ago, JimL said:

Bananas aren't low carb though, at all. Those are tough diet restrictions. I hope Sarah finds something she can live with day in and day out. Avocados might be a better choice. IDK. I had a hard enough time just with Keto. Without meat/fish, I couldn't do it. 

It's a bit tough, but luckily my symptoms only seem to be affected by breakfast and lunch, with breakfast being the main influence. At dinner time it doesn't seem to matter what I eat, symptoms always start to subside around 8pm with no post-dinner slump. (Not that I go crazy but I can have rice or fruit and it is fine.)

I hadn't thought of avocado, but I think that could work. Thanks for the suggestion! I will stock up on avos tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

You could try playing with quantities and timing too. 

I have given up on breakfast as it's too hazardous. I have a few nuts or a few segments of orange after a few hours of being awake and drip feed myself all day until around 3pm when my blood pressure is up and I can eat more. Nuts are my friend in the morning despite my MCAS I have managed to reintro them. Seeds give me fatigue. I also focus on liquid foods - miso, cacao hot chocolate - the cacao raises my adrenaline which for once helps, weak coffee with cashew cream, veggie juices - not fruit as I have fructose malabsorption probs. Anything to help get calories in and not send blood to the stomach to digest. 

I will often lie down at 11am for 20 mins to get blood from my legs to help the day along. 

I am terrible with anything grainy, high fructose - bananas + dates, avocados, eggs, HIGH FODMAP, dairy, pulses.

It's a daily tightrope walk especially when I am trying to work and sitting sedentary. I have to be so so careful.

@misseb, thank you for the suggestions. You have a lot of restrictions to make things harder. I am impressed that you can work when you are only having small snacks for most of the day.

On 3/19/2021 at 1:43 PM, Ashc said:

How about green smoothies or say feta wraps?

Thank you for the suggestions. I think feta cheese could be a good ingredient with the high salt as well.

19 hours ago, Sarah Tee said:

@misseb, thank you for the suggestions. You have a lot of restrictions to make things harder. I am impressed that you can work when you are only having small snacks for most of the day.

It's a small price to pay when my alternative is being incapacitated in bed.  I have much more energy and focus when I am snacking. It's made life possible again.  Big meals really dont work and we adapt to what we give our bodies . Hope you find a magical path 

@misseb, I will embrace the snack! I think I have made progress on another front as well this week, so if I can get "breakfast"  and "lunch" sorted out, I think I will be much better off.

2 hours ago, Sarah Tee said:

@misseb, I will embrace the snack! I think I have made progress on another front as well this week, so if I can get "breakfast"  and "lunch" sorted out, I think I will be much better off.

I think if we let go of perceptions of how we are meant to eat it also really helps. So what if we don't have meals. It's what works for us that matters. 

21 hours ago, misseb said:

I think if we let go of perceptions of how we are meant to eat it also really helps. So what if we don't have meals. It's what works for us that matters. 

I agree with @misseb. I do not tolerate big meals, so I too graze all day. My go-to are protein bars, nuts, bananas, joghurts and sandwiches. When i cook meals for my family I just have the protein and vegetable and avoid the carbs. This has greatly improved my GI symptoms and prevented postprandial fatigue. 

I thought about this today. Melons are low in acid and low in calories and taste really great; mangoes and bananas have a lot of fiber in them. Cucumbers and chocolate help with blood flow but what I like about cucumbers is I can put salt on top of them. I was going to suggest eggs but I just read your original post again. 

On 3/22/2021 at 9:44 PM, Sarah Tee said:

Thank you for the suggestions. I think feta cheese could be a good ingredient with the high salt as well.

Yes, it's good for the gut and immune system as well. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 8:37 AM, Sarah Tee said:

I have been trying to eat a low-carbohydrate breakfast (or mini-breakfasts spread out as snacks) because my symptoms seem to start after eating in the morning.

But I'm struggling as to what to eat because I have a some restrictions.

First, I feel pretty blah in the morning, so I need something unchallenging. Second, I can't eat egg in any quantity. Third, I can only eat medium or low fibre foods. (This is all because of some bowel surgery that has gone astray, not dysautonomia.)

Fourth, I'm vegetarian (but even if I wasn't, I don't think I could face meaty or fishy things for breakfast).

What do you eat for breakfast and snacks if you have to watch your diet for dysautonomia reasons?

My best effort so far was grilled tomatoes with cheese on top. It was a little hard to face but I think it might have helped.

Honestly any food is fine to eat for breakfast.  Many dysautonomia patients find it easier to eat less earlier in the day.  Food is ofn easier to digest later in the day

Edited by yogini

• 2 weeks later...