Ivabradine Study on POTS

MTRJ75

I have used such studies, especially double blind ones successfully to get my pharmacy benefits manager to cover drugs, I think this one the first time I was on it. My neurologist’s office is great at supporting treatments and justifying them which really helps. 

I tried it again recently but went off of it because it made my palpitations much worse so like everything with us it helps some but not others. I wonder if it’s lowering norepi and I am already on an alpha 2 blocker the combination was too much? Thank you for posting this.

• 1 month later...

The insurance companies are horrible. They wouldn't cover my prescriptions either, despite my cardiologist doing everything they asked for. I've been getting the generic via mail order from Canada and paying out of pocket. Thankfully, my doctor is willing to work with me on this. The Ivabradine slows my heart without the awful side effects of the beta blockers, and I've tried LOTS of beta blockers as well as Clonidine.

Yea my mom has read good reviews about this medication. 

20 hours ago, Jason_X said:

The insurance companies are horrible. They wouldn't cover my prescriptions either, despite my cardiologist doing everything they asked for. I've been getting the generic via mail order from Canada and paying out of pocket. Thankfully, my doctor is willing to work with me on this. The Ivabradine slows my heart without the awful side effects of the beta blockers, and I've tried LOTS of beta blockers as well as Clonidine.

That's good to hear it helped, I don't have such good help from my beta blocker. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the insurance company to cover. Cardiologist is shocked. The prescription is for 5 mg 2x daily. Is that the common dose for most who are on it or is it less? Asking because I know lower doses of Propanolol seem to be more effective in POTs than normal sized doses. 

I couldn't tolerate it at all even at the 2.5mg dose once a day.  My resting HR in the afternoons and evenings dropped to low 30s/high 40s and I was very symptomatic - short of breath, heavy weight on chest, extremely tired.  I was really disappointed as my cardiologist had said it helped nearly all his other patients...

I would, especially if you are sensitive to meds.  My cardiologist suggested I start at the dose you were prescribed, my GP who knows me better said she thought that was far too much to start with and that I should start at the smallest possible dose and work up from there.  Since I was extremely bradycardic on 2.5mg I dread to think what I'd have been like on 10mg!