Slurring Words a Precursor POTS flareups?

flowntheloop

I've read many stories here about VCD and laryngeal spasms, but does anyone else here have issues with slurring and jumbling words at the start or even during POTS flareups? I'm autistic and struggle with selective/situational mutism as is, but I've made note that I can't seem to put sentences and words together at the very start of my really bad flares--usually around the same time that my allodynia has begun (another one of my precursors to a bad flare). I sound like a drunk person, and it seems like my tongue doesn't want to cooperate. I'd also like to mention that I lose grip and muscle strength during these flares. I'm wondering if I need to go back to a neurologist eventually. I went back in 2014 or so, and nothing (except a subarachnoid parietal cyst) showed up on my brainscan then.

@flowntheloop - yes, this happens to me. I have HPOTS, and when my adrenaline is high all my vessels constrict and there is no circulation to the brain. When it starts I develop slurred speech, slow thinking and other symptoms. This used to lead to seizures but since I am adjusted with meds and IV fluids this rarely occurs anymore. But if I am in a bad flare the slurred speech still happens. I am on  a calcium channel blocker, which promotes vasodilation, and the IV fluids prevent vasoconstriction. 

@Pistol - Very interesting!

I am still seeking a proper diagnosis (I have been struggling with mystery symptoms for 2 decades now that doctors have mostly chocked up to "anxiety" and "mental health issues"). I only recently (through my hypermobility spectrum disorder support group) realized that POTS (and possibly even hEDS) could be causing a large share of my symptoms. I'm still learning! I am impatiently awaiting my first appointment with a cardiologist (Feb 2). I have a LOT of medical trauma, and I'm just hoping to be treated with respect and concern for once.

If you have the time/energy, I would love to hear more about your story and how you went about getting diagnosed and treated!

• 4 weeks later...