Mental Health and the Pandemic

Ashc

Most of us are already dealing with other health issues, including mental health which has been aggravated by the lockdowns and all the chaos surrounding COVID-19.  Did you have some issues like depression or anxiety. If so, did you seek professional help? I'm not certain if that's convenient at this time though.

Hello @Ashc - I do not really have depression from COVID but had it due to becoming disabled from POTS years ago. I did talk to a friend who is a counselor back then, as well as my doctor. Between a few talks and going on SSRI as well as improving my diet and going outside every day ( when possible due to weather ) I improved considerably. Feeling shut in ( or out ), being bored, feeling hopeless and experiencing inactivity from the restrictions can cause to feelings of depression, and that is normal. In these times I have found social media a lifesaver ( especially facetime and zoom ).

For me being confined to the house is nothing new, due to limitations from POTS, and I have found that finding new hobbies has helped me a lot. Also volunteering in different ways can help, we can contact different Nonprofits or church orgs to offer to help. Forums always appreciate input, and some places may appreciate help such as calling older or sick people that are alone over the holidays etc. You can also check with the local senior center etc. 

I have seen a therapist in the past, (not POTS related ) and found it helpful to talk without feeling judge , also helped with ideas how to cope and gave me a different perspective on the situation. I know here in uk some of them are doing zoom . 
I think Pistol has some excellent suggestions . We have been told we are going into another full lockdown on 28th December with no end date set , so I am making sure I get everything bought that i need to be able to tackle some projects I want to do ! 
What helps me when I feel down is listening to my favourite music  and singing along, however I only do this when no one can hear as I can’t sing to save my life !

keep safe sending hugs x

Hello! Thanks for your responses.

Appreciate all the thoughts. Boredom seems to lead to depression, so I might have to think about new things to try. I'm thinking about gardening, herbs and other edible plants. But I still have to do some research as I haven't really done any decent gardening all my life.

@Pistol I haven't really thought about social media that way. I mean, the places I visit are chaotic. I guess I've been using it all wrong. When you say Facetime and Zoom, I assume it would be with your circle, right? 

@dancer65Me too! I love music and singing along, just when no one can hear LOL

Keep safe!

5 hours ago, Ashc said:

I haven't really thought about social media that way. I mean, the places I visit are chaotic. I guess I've been using it all wrong. When you say Facetime and Zoom, I assume it would be with your circle, right? 

@Ashc - I zoom and facetime with my family and friends that I cannot visit. My teenage daughter is - of course! - on all types of social media and she plays mine craft with her class mates and stays on facetime with her BFF all day. Only teenage girls can endure that! She also has taught herself how to play the Ukulele online - she is really good at tit and practices every day. 

5 hours ago, Ashc said:

I'm thinking about gardening, herbs and other edible plants. But I still have to do some research as I haven't really done any decent gardening all my life.

I am an avid gardener and herbs are my passion. We have vegetable gardens, flower beds and I baby my herb garden. I don't know if you have a garden space but if not you can easily tend to herbs inside on a window sill or on a porch. I do all three! I have a big 16 year old Rosemary plant, as big as a bush, and I bring it in every winter. Rosemary is great to plant cuttings from! I also LOVE Lavender and have 2 plants that I bring in every winter. Unfortunately it is too cold here to keep them outside in the winter. I also have Oregano, Sage and Thyme, which all survive the winters, and plant annual herbs like parsley and basil etc each summer.

Whether you want a kitchen garden or a medicinal garden - herbs are easy to grow, are beautiful to look at and fill the house with their scent! I take cuttings and dry them and keep jars of them in my spice rack. -- As in medicinal herbs - I plant lemon balm and mint for teas and have grown horehound, lemon verbena, chamomile, ecchinacea, and many others over the years. I make salves and tinctures from them. My favorite is made from marigold and Yarrow and coconut oil and beeswax - it makes a great salve for cuts, scrapes, insect bites etc. Oh - and I have an aloe plant for burns ...

Well - have I peaked your interest? I could go on and on, obviously you have triggered my passion!!! If you decide to start an herb garden and need any tips or tricks feel free to PM me!!!!!

Hi pistol 

I love gardening it keeps me sane, I really miss it in the winter months it’s too wet and cold here in Wales to do much through dec to March . The start of the season this year was really good here but the lack of sunshine from August on wards left me loads of unripe tomatoes so most friends are getting chutney for Christmas along with homemade mint jelly made from windfall apples . 
Would you mind sharing your favourite tincture recipe for bites etc ? I would like to have a go at making some next year . 
Thank you 😀

On 12/18/2020 at 7:11 PM, Pistol said:

@Ashc - I zoom and facetime with my family and friends that I cannot visit. My teenage daughter is - of course! - on all types of social media and she plays mine craft with her class mates and stays on facetime with her BFF all day. Only teenage girls can endure that! She also has taught herself how to play the Ukulele online - she is really good at tit and practices every day. 

I am an avid gardener and herbs are my passion. We have vegetable gardens, flower beds and I baby my herb garden. I don't know if you have a garden space but if not you can easily tend to herbs inside on a window sill or on a porch. I do all three! I have a big 16 year old Rosemary plant, as big as a bush, and I bring it in every winter. Rosemary is great to plant cuttings from! I also LOVE Lavender and have 2 plants that I bring in every winter. Unfortunately it is too cold here to keep them outside in the winter. I also have Oregano, Sage and Thyme, which all survive the winters, and plant annual herbs like parsley and basil etc each summer.

Whether you want a kitchen garden or a medicinal garden - herbs are easy to grow, are beautiful to look at and fill the house with their scent! I take cuttings and dry them and keep jars of them in my spice rack. -- As in medicinal herbs - I plant lemon balm and mint for teas and have grown horehound, lemon verbena, chamomile, ecchinacea, and many others over the years. I make salves and tinctures from them. My favorite is made from marigold and Yarrow and coconut oil and beeswax - it makes a great salve for cuts, scrapes, insect bites etc. Oh - and I have an aloe plant for burns ...

Well - have I peaked your interest? I could go on and on, obviously you have triggered my passion!!! If you decide to start an herb garden and need any tips or tricks feel free to PM me!!!!!

Wow! I am speechless! It seems like I am reading from a magazine or blog. The plants you mentioned are all good as medicines. I have read all about it and never really thought anyone could grow them all! Wow, I want to live in your house! LOL Seriously, that's amazing. Yey, I'm going to PM you when I decided to start myself for sure! But don't I need to have like a green thumb or something for those kinds of plants?

Anyhow, I just want to share this downloadable I found from WHO site. It's about dealing with the pandemic. It's in pdf. https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/9789240003927?gclid=CjwKCAiAz4b_BRBbEiwA5XlVVuEDbG-U1aSA7pl7TdskTs6icr6c2uUAKmWSvEGNWngzzAq-rH__zRoCHRsQAvD_BwE Check it out when you get a chance.

Keep safe!

@Ashc - thanks so much for the link, I am sure it is helpful for many of us. 

9 hours ago, Ashc said:

But don't I need to have like a green thumb or something for those kinds of plants?

Nope - herbs are essentially weeds, so they are quite forgiving. I am looking forward to hear from you when you are ready to give them a go!!!!! 👍

I checked the link and downloaded the article. Great read. Thanks for sharing.

Gardening is really good. Aside from it's very relaxing, you get to grow what you consume. People don't notice that most products we buy from the groceries can be grown in our backyards. It can save as tons really from plantation, logistics, food processing, transportation, and retail.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Healthixir said:

I suggest repainting to happier colors or adding indoor plants.

I agree!!! I love growing plants, whether it is inside or in my gardens outside. I have many inside plants, my show piece being an Orchid that always blooms - currently with over 30 blooms!!!!! My husband purchased it years ago from a supermarket for mothers day, and after 6 months it looked dead. I was ready to throw it on the compost pile when I saw a tiny little new sprout ... I researched how to care for orchids, bought the proper soil and plant food and repotted it - 8 years later it is breathtakingly healthy and rewards us with constant blooms. I am so proud of it! 

I find that planting in general is a very rewarding boredom buster. Whether purchasing mature plants or growing from seed - tending to them is like any relationship: give and take. And the upkeep keeps us busy enough without being overwhelming. This year I will try growing lavender from seeds ( in addition to my other veggie  plants ) - growing lavender is tricky, since the seeds need to be sprouted and grown on a heating pad. I have never been successful, but I am determined to succeed this year!!!! 

On 1/20/2021 at 8:13 PM, Pistol said:

I agree!!! I love growing plants, whether it is inside or in my gardens outside. I have many inside plants, my show piece being an Orchid that always blooms - currently with over 30 blooms!!!!! My husband purchased it years ago from a supermarket for mothers day, and after 6 months it looked dead. I was ready to throw it on the compost pile when I saw a tiny little new sprout ... I researched how to care for orchids, bought the proper soil and plant food and repotted it - 8 years later it is breathtakingly healthy and rewards us with constant blooms. I am so proud of it! 

I find that planting in general is a very rewarding boredom buster. Whether purchasing mature plants or growing from seed - tending to them is like any relationship: give and take. And the upkeep keeps us busy enough without being overwhelming. This year I will try growing lavender from seeds ( in addition to my other veggie  plants ) - growing lavender is tricky, since the seeds need to be sprouted and grown on a heating pad. I have never been successful, but I am determined to succeed this year!!!! 

Wow! Aren't orchids hard to maintain?

On 1/20/2021 at 6:28 PM, Healthixir said:

Improving our home is smart way to deal with the boredom and loneliness. I suggest repainting to happier colors or adding indoor plants.

That's a great idea! What would you say a happy color would be? I love the color white but I can try something new.

2 hours ago, Ashc said:

Wow! Aren't orchids hard to maintain?

@Ashc - they can be, but once you identify what type of Orchid you have, provide it with the right soil and water them only once a week ( with plant food ) and - most importantly - find the right place for it in your home they thrive. They like sun but do not tolerate drafts or drastic temperature changes. Mine is by a south-facing window ad thrives wonderfully! If you would like to pamper an orchid - PM me! They are on sale for Valentine's day ( that's how I acquired my beauty ). 

2 hours ago, Ashc said:

That's a great idea! What would you say a happy color would be? I love the color white but I can try something new.

I like a very light hue of buttery lemon or tea green. They lighten up my hallway and it is so welcoming and mood boosting! If you like white you can also just paint one wall - the one in a room that is the most exposed. Then arrange accessories in the room with that color on it ( pillows, throws etc ). I used to LOVE painting, prior to POTS we renovated a huge  house inside and out, and i got to use my interior decorating skills. I painted rooms, redid furniture and cabinets, landscaped the garden ... unfortunately none of these activities are POTS-friendly. I helped my husband paint the siding of our house last summer and could do about 30 minutes in the morning, and had to stay in bed for most of the rest of the day. 

• 3 months later...