Ectopic Beats & Sinus Arrythmia while Eating?

bookworm818

Yes. And it is. 

I just heard Mark Cuban on Dr Oz last week talk about how he has to watch his diet because it can trigger his AFib. 

Stomach nerves are right next to cardiac nerves, so it makes sense, but still doesn't make it anymore settling. My body's initial response is always towards anxiety even though I'm pretty confident what's happening. 

1 hour ago, MTRJ75 said:

Yes. And it is. 

I just heard Mark Cuban on Dr Oz last week talk about how he has to watch his diet because it can trigger his AFib. 

Stomach nerves are right next to cardiac nerves, so it makes sense, but still doesn't make it anymore settling. My body's initial response is always towards anxiety even though I'm pretty confident what's happening. 

Thanks for your response. Is there anything that helps you? Do you have any gastro related issues?

Digestive issues likely in connection with the neurological issues. The autonomic nervous system basically controls everything. 

Unfortunately, outside of an extremely restrictive diet and small meals, it's been difficult to control, but it does seem to be on a spectrum from extremely bothersome to not that bad over stretches of time. 

I do have a pretty severe case of gastroparesis (diagnosed 2016 when I was hospitalized for it), considered by experts to be related to my dysautonmia so this may not be true for everybody, but when I eat my heart rate will often go way up even while lying down or sleeping. Like my resting heart rate is normally around 60 but it can be around 100 after eating sometimes. It will trend back down to around 60 by morning according to my Fitbit. It just slowly goes back down so I assume it's from trying to digest food. It wasn't always like this. I used to have a lot of periods of ectopic heart beats but it's not as bad right now. Still the HR increases after eating so I think ectopics may be another manifestation of the autonomic nervous system being unable to handle normal activities correctly. I like to think of it as lacking the ability to buffer normal responses so things swing too much from one end of the range to the other. In some cases the heart rhythms may be affected?

Not sure how helpful this is but just my experience. I'm sorry you're having this problem. The lack of knowledge about POTS and what all physical problems it can cause is extremely frustrating.