So im getting my tonsils removed...

Derek1987

So im getting my tonsils removed next month. Im 33. The dr said shes gonna keep me overnight due to my condition. This is also my first surgery. Anything i should be worried about? Any prep? This was my first time seeing this dr. She was like yeah i want to do this in the hospital but keep you overnight for observation due to your condition. She actually knew what hyper pots was. I thought all tonsil surgeries went this way?

I get bacterial infections on my tonsils once or twice a year. Ive been wanting to do this for years but since pots came in my life, anytime i start to get sick, my HR goes high as if im not taking my beta blocker. My heart also beats hard out of my chest like a cartoon in love. The last time my tonsils were starting to collect bacteria, they got so swollen the first day. i couldnt sleep because i couldnt breathe in my sleep. I stayed up all night and got antibiotics.

So i think its really time. She said my left tonsil was larger than my right indicating scar tissue buildup from the infections over the years. Im wondering if this is why i cant breathe in my sleep on my back anymore.  

Ive never had surgery before. Im worried about being put to sleep over everything..wondering how my body will react.

Hi Derek - wow, it sounds like it is overdue to get them out! -- I had many surgeries since I was diagnosed with POTS. Since you will be under general anesthesia you won't know what;s going on, but in order to keep you stable during the surgery they should give you at least one liter of Fluids pre-op, that's what helps me. There were times when my BP dropped dangerously low during the surgery ( not a problem, they have drugs for that ) and other when it got high, but if they use the fluids prior to and during the surgery my VS stay very stable. After the surgery you will probably be in pain, on pain killers and in a flare ( sorry to be so blunt, just trying to prepare you ) and that is to be expected. Tonsillectomis in Adults is no picnic, so just prepare to be out of commission for a while. Most important will be the fluid intake - drink, drink, drink!!! Anything - popsicles, jello, crushed ice - you can get in. Whenever I had surgery that landed me in bed afterwards I took it real easy until I was able to stop using pain killers and then gradually increased my level of activity. Don't be alarmed if you faint a few times ☹️!

The good news: chronically inflamed tonsils can cause a lot of chaos in the body and probably contributed to your POTS symptoms. Once they are removed and you recovered from the surgery there is a good chance that your POTS could become more manageable. When your immune system is constantly fighting the body is under a constant state of stress - therefore POTS can be unstable. Once the source of inflammation is removed or treated your body has a chance to calm down and the constant overactivity of the ANS may calm down. So good news in the end!!! --- If you never had surgery before you might be quite anxious - it is a good idea to tell them that before surgery - they can give you something to calm you down so that you do not develop tachycardia or high BP going into the OR. They do that with me b/c I have had seizures before, during and after the surgery, and the fear of this happening gives me a lot of anxiety before procedures,  but if they sedate me beforehand the chance of this happening is less. 

In the end just try to relax, you will be in good and experienced hands and since your doc already knows about HPOTS you can consider yourself lucky. Being kept over night is great - they do that with me too, and since you will be receiving IV fluids there your recovery will be a lot safer. Best of Luck, try not to worry and have a speedy recovery!!!!!!!

I had mine out when I was 6 or 7. A long time ago. I've had 9 or 10 surgeries...The only negative effect I had was from ketamine. They gave that to me when I had lower spine fusion in 2018. Not good coming out of that, but other than that, propofol knocks you out quickly. I like to know when it's going in though. You'll feel a buzz for a few seconds and boom, out and the next thing you know you wake up. I had my tonsils out as I had a lot of strep throat infections as a kid. 

On 10/16/2020 at 12:33 PM, KiminOrlando said:

Every time I have anesthesia, I faint for the next week. There is nothing they have been able to do about it. I plan for it and have help come stay with me. Don't be surprised if your body reacts this way. Maybe you will get lucky and you won't, but prepare for a flare.

Do u have regular or hyper pots?