Lessons from COVID-19

Ashc

What I have learned is that if everyone has to live like me ( homebound, cannot go out to shop or appointments and has to catch up with family and friends via facetime or zoom ) then society breaks down!!! People develop anxiety and depression, doctors are not available to see them and people have to fend for themselves ....

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 5:32 PM, AlyssaK said:

Despite that the pandemic was a really hard time for me, it made me start doing many hobbies (cooking, sport and copywriting) to feel my day during the isolation.

Great to hear. That's also the thing I like the most. We get to do things we didn't have time to before. One can say we get to reevaluate our life and the things we do with it.

On 10/23/2020 at 7:21 PM, Pistol said:

What I have learned is that if everyone has to live like me ( homebound, cannot go out to shop or appointments and has to catch up with family and friends via facetime or zoom ) then society breaks down!!! People develop anxiety and depression, doctors are not available to see them and people have to fend for themselves ....

That is true. This pandemic caused a lot of anxiety and depression, and the number of suicides have also increased. People will realize the value of community and the importance of being a part of it. It scary to be alone and to feel lonely at the same time.

COVID 19 has taught me it only takes one time to be exposed. After 9 months of not going to a hair salon , I decided to go since my hair stylist moved into a suite where I would not be exposed to other clients. Most of my friends had already gone 4/5 times to get their hair done , not me I was just not going to risk it. I went with a KN95 mask and a lot of hand sanitizer and was so excited about getting my hair done and it felt so good !!! Well I texted her later, Oct 29th  to see about getting my brows done since I forgot to get them done Oct 23rd when I was there. She texted me back and said she had sinus pressure /head cold and had gone to dr and tested positive for COVID-19!!! If I hadn’t texted her I don’t think she would have called me to notify me! She tested positive Oct 27th. I could have definitely gotten it from her. Anyway I went and got tested and in my small west Texas city it was a nightmare!!! Of course I was also very anxious because I am in a high risk group and I had just gotten back from my autonomic testing where I had to drive 5-6 hours. I got a drive through test at a local pharmacy, this test you have to wait 2-3 days. I decide I wanted to try to get a rapid test there were only 2 places and one was completely booked so I went to a stand alone er to try to get one the waiting room was packed and no one was social distancing ! People looked real sick . I asked how long wait ...she didn’t know...of course . I preceded to tell her I was only there to get a test ...she said everyone here is waiting on a test. I went and waited in my car and finally after hours I was called for my test. Waited in room praying and sweating it out. Finally they came back after 30 minutes. My test was NEGATIVE!!!!!! I was so thankful!!!!!

I told this long drawn out story because it can happen and it is real and not a pleasant experience. I know I got COVID-19 fatigue and thought I will go out get my hair done just like everyone else I know . I guess it shows you how important it is to wear a mask . I know I would rather have hair that had not been cut or colored any day than going through the fear of having COVID 19 , especially since I suffer on a daily basis and have been unable to work for a year due to POTS symptoms. I definitely dodged that bullet!!! The one time I take a risk I get exposed to someone with COVID 19. It just wasn’t worth it to me! I thought the protocol was my hair stylist was supposed to contact who she had been around! I see that’s not happening either where I live. I know I’m ready to hunker down now and enjoy my life !!! Like the ER doctor said it’s everywhere!!! 

@HCD77 - I am so sorry to read your story!!! I really feel for you, I understand being afraid of the virus when you are at high risk. Where I live ( thankfully in a very rural area with very few active cases at a time ) the health department takes care of the contact tracing. Anyone testing positive needs to quarantine and everyone they came in contact with gets a call from the department. They also then are to quarantine. This way our county has been able to prevent outbreaks, but I also understand that it may not work that way in more populated areas. 

You are right - COVID can be anywhere, and everywhere you go you should treat it as if everyone has it. You were smart wearing a N95 mask - that probably saved you from contracting it! -- I am mostly homebound and am not at risk ( other than POTS I am healthy ), so I don't get out much, but my family is very careful about using masks and sanitizer when out and about. 

I hope you stay well!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

What I have learned is that it is possible to do things remotely or outdoors that in the past absolutely had to be indoors and in person.   In general I feel I have learned more about flexibility and what is necessary in life and what is not. Truthfully in some ways some things are going to change for the better as a result of the terrible pain and suffering so many are going through right now.  But in other ways, there is going to be very long lasting damage.  And too much loss.

HCD77--so glad you did not get sick.  Yes I think going to indoor salon may be one of the more risky activities.  The person who has cut our hair for decades has come to our house and cut outdoors w masks (not doing color or anything except cut).  Still felt risky but not comfortable going into a salon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2020 at 10:08 AM, sitcedar said:

The obvious lesson I've learned is that life could change in just a snap. The whole world could shut down all at once, and not even the strongest country can do anything about it. 

Humans would definitely bow to Mother Nature in the end.