Migraine/Headache treatment confusion

Knellie

I know that this is a dysautonomia forum, but I didn't know who else to ask. My doctor has recommended an occipital nerve block for my chronic migraines and then if this doesn't work then Botox. I am not sure if I should do either. If I do it, I am not sure if doing the nerve block or the botox is the better track. I would rather not do both because it is expensive. Has anyone tried Botox or an occipital nerve block for headaches? I am not even sure if my headaches are chronic migraines because of the symptoms that are associated with it. I do have POTS, but I am not sure if it is just that and chronic migraines, because some of my symptoms are not consistent with either. Any advice?

I had botox for migraines several times. It did help some. It didn't make them go away completely but it decreased the number and sometimes the severity. 

I've questioned whether my own daily headaches are actually migraines because the headaches often seem triggered by allergies. However they are helped by sumatriptan (Imitrex) and my understanding is if the headaches is helped by sumatriptan then it is by definition a migraine. Also an MRI supported chronic migraine changes to my brain.  

On 9/21/2020 at 7:18 PM, Knellie said:

I know that this is a dysautonomia forum, but I didn't know who else to ask. My doctor has recommended an occipital nerve block for my chronic migraines and then if this doesn't work then Botox. I am not sure if I should do either. If I do it, I am not sure if doing the nerve block or the botox is the better track. I would rather not do both because it is expensive. Has anyone tried Botox or an occipital nerve block for headaches? I am not even sure if my headaches are chronic migraines because of the symptoms that are associated with it. I do have POTS, but I am not sure if it is just that and chronic migraines, because some of my symptoms are not consistent with either. Any advice?

I have had botox for my migraines for about 4 years and it worked great. The doctor will tell you it last for 3 to 4 months, but with dysautonomia and everything moving slowly, the shot lasted me 6 to 8 months and once it lasted a year long. You might get a migraine but it significantly reduces the amount of migraines and the duration if you get one. But the last time I got the shots it didn't work at all, so I stopped. I would try it if I were you. It's less invasive than a nerve block.