Heartburn - or something like that - all the time

Knellie

A couple of years ago, I started getting infrequent "Heartburn". But it wasn't really heartburn, because it happened in my stomach. It is odd because it started even before I got POTS. It usually happened when I at some kind of acidic food like oranges, tomatoes, lemons, etc. Now for the past several weeks, it is there ALL THE TIME. If I don't eat I get it, if I drink a lot of water (like I am supposed to) then I get heartburn, and if I eat, it relieves it for a little bit, and then it comes back. It responds to normal antacids, which makes me think that I am having some kind of liver or pancreas malfunction. Is it just part of the whole POTS thing, or should I investigate it further? Have any of you had a similar experience? It is really annoying to have that severe burning in my stomach all the time. 

@Knellie - I have had gastric reflux ( heartburn ) since childhood, and it get worse during certain POTS flares. Untreated it turned into esophagitis and duodenitis for me, whcih was very bad. It took a lot of meds and dietary restrictions to get the inflammation controlled. I would see your doctor or even a gastroenterologist right away, if heartburn lasts and does not improve despite OTC meds ( you state antacids do work ) and diet changes ( avoiding all the foods that make it worse ) it should be treated with medications. It CAN be a symptom of POTS, but whatever the cause - untreated it can cause problems. Please see your doctor for this symptom!

I get bad heartburn during flares too - my gastro says during a flare my whole digestive system just slows down and my stomach makes more acid to compensate.  I take Omeprazole ( a proton pump inhibitor) during flares to cut down on acid which works for me.  However like @Pistol I think you should get it checked out by an expert - before being prescribed the PPI, I had a gastroscopy just to make sure everything was OK.