POTS and working/attending school

HCD77

I’m just curious since POTS and other Dysautonomia’s can be so life altering. I know 25% of POTS patients are not able to work or attend school . I was wondering how many people can still work or go to school ? If you can what is career that enables you to still work? 

I am a teacher and I am not able to work because of my symptoms. 

I work from home. I can sit on my couch and type and work at my own pace, even doing half my work the night before. Very flexible thankfully, but I still struggle to do it. I can’t ask for or accept or even suggest assignments I’d really like to take on because I know I’m unreliable at this point. I’ll often miss a day or two every other week and feel terrible frequently after getting through a work day.  If I had to leave the house on a daily basis  to do any of It, it wouldn’t happen. Unfortunately my disability hearing is still probably a year away and I like to eat so I have to push through until then.

@Lisa C - I am unable to work for any length of time at all and am too unreliable to follow any schedule. But my sister, who has POTS, is able to work 10 hours a day on a flexible schedule from home. She can attend meetings or talk via Zoom. The main reason she still works is so she can maintain her benefits, she currently is going through the disability process. My other sister ( also has POTS ), who has been cutting her hours and days working as a social worker in a hospital, just had a meeting with her employer and was told that she may have to take on a different, less challenging, position because of her not being able to reliably do what is outlined in her job description, mostly b/c she is so easily overstimulated. She is not able to even sit at a computer for very long, so she cannot work from home either. 

I find the biggest reason for not being able to work is that we are so unreliable and our abilities fluctuate from hour to hour. I may be just fine waking up but then - at some time throughout the day - it hits me like a ton of bricks and I am not even able to have a coherent conversation, let alone sit at a computer or have to make my way home. I just simply have to lie down and let it blow over - what employer can accomodate THAT?