What time of day do you take your meds?

Sorry for all of the questions. I will probably have a lot of them, as for some reason the doctors aren't giving me the info. I need.

I was taking my beta blocker before bed. The last 2 days, I switched it to the morning. It has seemed to lower my heart rate more during the day than when I was taking it before bed.

Just wondering what works best for all of you!

Jennifer

You will find that medication routines are highly individual. I take my blood pressure (Cozaar) and SSRI (lexapro) in the am. I know others who do better with it in the PM. I take all my allergy meds in the PM as I need the relief most to be able to sleep well.

My doctor left it up to me and told me that some people do better with am meds, and others with pm, and just play around with it.

Nina

like nina said, and like you'll hear a lot on here about many different things, it's all very individual. i take my beta blockers though when i wake up & then every 4-5 hours while awake b/c when i'm laying down/asleep (hopefully) at night my HR is generally normal or below normal & thus i don't need it to be lowered. but all are different. as much as i can't stand having to do so, i take various meds from the time i wake to the time i go to sleep at night. i actually take my morning meds at least 30 min before i can get up or else i can't safely get up. i'll respond to your other med post with my meds & when i take them specifically. i have changed things over the years too...both in terms of what meds i'm taking & when i'm taking them, and have some give in terms of knowing what i can play around with according to symptoms (per discussions with docs about being able to do so.)

yet another "it depends"...don't ya love it?

:-)melissa

So far my meds are taken at 5 a.m, 7 a.m. and 2 p.m.

I start my day early, and most times it ends around 9 or 10 p.m.

I also have to take my B/P twice, once I get up in the morning and in the evening.

Hi Jennifer,

It's a good question about the beta blocker-- one that i've asked myself. I actually work with some cardiac doctors in my research lab, and I asked one of them about the dosing of beta blockers. He said that Metoprolol (the one I'm taking) has a 12 hour life span in the body, so taking it before bed would most likely give you more effect right when you take it, then it would wear off by morning. Also, when my Dr. adjusted my beta blocker recently, she told me to take more of it in the morning (when i was having more symptoms) as opposed to evening when i feel better. So i guess the long and the short of this is, do what gives you the most relief! Haha, could have said that in one sentance. :)

Kristen

PS- Do you take only one dose of beta blocker per day?

Hi again Jennifer! :D Hope you are managing to find the answers to some of your questions and not feeling so alone. I take my Amytriptiline and Carbemazepine at bedtime and the Fludrocortisone, Venlafaxine prior to getting up. It depends upon my BP as to what time I take the Propanalol (Beta Blocker) as if my BP is too low and I take the Propanolol causing a further drop in BP, it causes me to collapse and go in and out of seizures that require hospital admission as I have had cardiac arrests in the past. :blink: