Dysautonomia causing throat spasms?

Just wondering if any pots patients out there have experienced seemingly random throat spasms? It’s the same tight feeling in the throat that you get when you are trying not to cry/very upset, but it happens what seems to be for no reason. It is very uncomfortable and a little painful. This seems to be a more frequent issue for me, and it seems like it may be pots related. In addition to this, the other night I woke up gasping for air because my throat or airway felt more narrow. I tried my best to stay calm and eventually it went away and I fell back asleep.

@leminisor - this sounds scary!!!! As far as I know this is not a symptom of POTS ( at least not a common one ). The fact that you woke up gasping for air is definitely a concerning symptom that should be brought to your physicians attention at once. What IF it is related to an allergic reaction? Please seek medical treatment right away. Good Luck!!!

Guest KiminOrlando

Okay, I'm not a doctor and I think you should see a gastroenterologist. What you are describing sounds somewhat like esophageal stricture. I've heard of it, but don't have it. I don't know if it is common with dysautonomia. I don't know anything about it. It could be something else, but definitely worthy of a doctor's visit. 

I get throat spasms like you describe very occasionally - weirdly they seem to affect the right side of my throat more than the left.  I also have problems with food sticking in my throat after I've swallowed.  I mentioned both issues to my gastro and he sent me for a barium swallow test - when it didn't show anything alarming we agreed they were probably caused by hEDS.  

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2020 at 11:49 AM, cmep37 said:

I get throat spasms like you describe very occasionally - weirdly they seem to affect the right side of my throat more than the left.  I also have problems with food sticking in my throat after I've swallowed.  I mentioned both issues to my gastro and he sent me for a barium swallow test - when it didn't show anything alarming we agreed they were probably caused by hEDS.  

Interesting,  I tend to feel a bit of difficulty to swallow,  and most of the time the feeling is more to the right side.
To avoid that feeling of food sticking to my throat,  I try simple things like avoiding dry food, or moisten it,  and to try small bites,  I also try to chew properly,  but sometimes I fail at this.

Breathing deep and slowly,  is great for us.  Specially if we feel a bit tight.

6 hours ago, Nelson G. said:

I try simple things like avoiding dry food, or moisten it,  and to try small bites,  I also try to chew properly,  but sometimes I fail at this.

Snap - if I eat in a hurry I will get a spasm!  Fizzy drinks are also a trigger for me so I try to avoid them.  I can never swallow anything without a spasm for a couple of minutes after I sit up after lying down - weird!