anyone find a fix for vision problems

gertie

I managed to get by with readers for a few years for my closeup reading. Now whatever strength readers I try works about 5 min tops & then vision goes blurry again.  I still manage distance pretty well, not perfect.   I've always kept up with eye checkups.  Last year after examination the Dr could not find any prescription that helped.  She changed the lens three times & I spent a lot of money & still do not have any glasses that help.  She offered to do cataract surgery early to see if it might help.  I refused. I use a magnifying glass a lot.  My old optometrist told me it wasn't an eye problem but a brain problem.  I have had a brain injury but there must be something that will help me enjoy reading again.  I've been searching this board for something that would help. It seems a lot of us have this problem but I didn't find an answer.  I've thought about ordering those lighted magnifiers that is advertised a lot but the reviews are not very good.  Anyone found anything that helps?  Thanks.

I see a neuro-opthamalogist and I have 20/20 vision but was having problems with blurriness when I would read for a while and then look up at the tv across the room, if I read for more than 15 minutes it would suddenly become blurry, etc.. He diagnosed me with convergence insufficiency and prescribed a $60 computer program that you do every other day for 7-8 minutes for several weeks. It helped tremendously. He said I may periodically have to redo the computer program. There was a prism type tool he used to slide up and down in front of my field of vision for each eye that triggered it to happen right in his office. If your opthamalogist doesn't know what it is (I don't think it's terribly rare or unheard of), my doctor is Dr. Eric Singman at Johns Hopkins if he/she will contact him for information. 

I also have amaurosis fugax (temporary blindness) in one eye at a time which seems to be caused by sudden changes in my bp and orthostatics behind my eye, mostly when I'm laying in bed and roll from one side to the other or stand up.  

Thanks so much for your reply.   I also have temporary blindness in one eye occasionally. My eyes feel like they are crossed sometimes & the only way I can see at all is to cover one eye.  Medication will cause me to do that sometimes also.  Thanks again!