is it safe to get a nosejob?

hnn21

Hello, I've been struggling with POTS for 2 years, but things seem to get better. Anyways my pressure is not always constant and some symptoms come back frequently. I want to get a rhinoplasty but I'm scared about how my HR and blood pressure would behave with anesthesia. 

is there someone who get through a surgical procedure like that with POTS?

Dear @hnn21 - I had several surgeries since developing HPOTS 11 years ago and I have found that MOST surgeries trigger a flare. B/c of my severe BP fluctuations from and during anesthesia I am considered a high-risk patient for anesthesia of any kind ( even dental ) and have had problems from it. As with anything else with POTS: we won't know how we react until we try. If your doctor and surgeon are aware of your dysautonomia the anesthesiologist can take precautions and monitor you for symptoms during the procedure. There are medications they can give you during the surgery IF your BP misbehaves, and afterwards it will be up to you to slowly recondition to get through a possible flare. Good luck !!!!!

8 hours ago, hnn21 said:

Is there someone who get through a surgical procedure like that with POTS?

I have had a couple too, though I have Neurally mediated hypotension rather than POTS. The risks are about the same and yes, anesthesia and recovery both need to be closely monitored. It is important to have a discussion with the anesthesiologist before surgery and give him medical records like a copy of your tilt table test. Certain anesthesia meds are preferred for Dysautonomia patients and others could be a problem. A good anesthesiologist should know this. 

Hello! Since my initial diagnosis of Hyper POTS about ten years ago, I have had a knee surgery, and three different abdominal surgeries (gallbladder removal, emergency appendectomy, and laparoscopy for endometriosis), as well as having to get put out for an exploratory upper endoscopy every two years for the rest of pretty much forever lol.  Every time, my doctors and anesthesiologists have been fully aware of my diagnosis and any precautions they need to take, and I haven't really had any issues that I know of during surgery. I feel like my recovery afterwards might be more difficult than non POTsies, but I just know that I have to have a full 2-3 days to rest and recover (outside of healing from the surgeries themselves). The last surgery I had, which was the emergency appendectomy, I had to stay in the hospital for 4 days, but that was only because of my extremely elevated white blood cell count due to the necrosis of the appendix; however, since I was being fully monitored, they did tell me for about three days, my BP was incredibly low and they almost stopped my beta blockers during that time. So it makes sense that my recovery has always felt a little long and I have to rest a lot, etc. because I bet it drops the BP significantly for a few days. Though none of my surgeries have been elective, it isn't anything that would keep me from a surgery, at least from my experience. Of course, as someone above mentioned, we all are different, and it truly is impossible to know how the same thing might affect you. I do know from talking to my friend's step dad, who is an anesthesiologist (and was mine for one of my surgeries!) that life threatening reactions are pretty rare, in his experience. I will note we are in a small town though!  If you decide to, wishing you the best of luck and a speedy recovery!

15 hours ago, hnn21 said:

Hello, I've been struggling with POTS for 2 years, but things seem to get better. Anyways my pressure is not always constant and some symptoms come back frequently. I want to get a rhinoplasty but I'm scared about how my HR and blood pressure would behave with anesthesia. 

is there someone who get through a surgical procedure like that with POTS?

A flare up can be expected with any kind of medical procedure.  It can be uncomfortable, may last for a couple of weeks or months but the you will be back to normal.  You have to consider whether that's worth it for you. Occasionally a surgery can cause an irreversible worsening of POTS so that's what I'd be more worried about.  

I think most of us here have all kinds of procedures and for the most part, it causes a flare but eventually you return to your baseline, especially when we prepare with extra rest, fluids, etc.  A nose job is a pretty minor procedure, usually done on an outpatient basis, so would seem manageable.  But ultimately it's based on what's going on with your particular body so would be best to ask your doctor.

I had a sinoplasty and turbinate redcation for a deviated septum and enlarged turbinates that were contributing to sleep apnea.

I did not have any problems. I don't even remember the recovery, beyond that I was worried that it would be miserable to try to sleep with a stuffed nose filled with gauze, but it wasn't a big deal. 

I was afraid of the surgery and afraid of the effects of anesthesia, and afraid that I would not remember anything from just prior to losing consciousness and this would be evidence that I am disposed to dementia later in life. None of my worries turned out to have any validity - the surgery was fine, the drugs did not have terrible effects on me, and I remember clearly "holding on" to consciousness for an extended period of time after being given the sedating gas and reflecting that operating rooms are insanely sterile and inhuman places. 

I have hyperPOTS and have had 2 surgeries, as well as conscious sedation a few times. The first surgery was when I was symptomatic but pre-diagnosis and I don't remember anything bad. The 2nd surgery (hysterectomy) was in 2015 and I was SO nervous the morning of surgery my BP was well above Hypertensive Crisis levels. I told them lay me flat but it didn't help much. Long story short, I had surgery and have never felt better! In fact, the further away from surgery I got, the worse I started feeling. The theory I had with my doctor was that anesthesia was very calming to my nervous system. Regarding the propofol, again, I always wake up feeling great. Almost like the sedative/anesthesia helps me get the deep restful sleep I normally miss from having Dys.