SSRI experiences

Hi Everyone, 

i hope everyone is well and staying safe. 
I wanted to see if anyone had experience with going on an SSRI such as Lexapro for low bp and high HR’s. My bp does go high with stress too. I also have cold temperature intolerance. 
thank you

Took Zoloft years ago and it made me non-reactive to anything. You could have hit me with a 2x4 and I wouldn't have cared. Lowered my libido a lot too and PE with that. I went off it after a year . Coming off it was interesting for a week or two. I've never heard of it used for low BP and high HR. 

@JFreeer - I have been on the SSRI Lexapro for my HPOTS for many years, it is a commonly used medication for POTS ( not used for depression or anxiety when used in POTS diagnosis ). I also in addition was on Wellbutrin ( Bupropion ) for the last 4 months with EXTEMELY good results but had to stop due to developing acne on it - a very rare side effect. I loved the Wellbutrin, it lowered my BP and HR, gave me energy and more exercise tolerance and I simply FELT good on it. I am sad to stop it.  SSRI's and SNRI's help in the treatment of dysautonomia by balancing neurotransmitters such as Serotonin ( SSRI ) or Norepinephrine ( SNRI ) and therefore can lessen autonomic symptoms. Here is some more info on this subject that is easy to understand: 

https://www.potsuk.org/ssris_snris

@Pistol thanks for the article explaining the actions of these drugs. I have a question that I hope that you or someone can answer. If those of us with hyper POTS have too much noradrenaline and  “SNRIs... increase in circulating noradrenaline” how do they help? Do they balance the serotonin/noradrenaline? Or? Like you, I had very good results with Bupropion controlling my BP but had bad side effects. Thanks.

@p8d - I have asked that question myself and do not understand it either. It seems to make no sense - but I know that it is commonly used in treatment of HPOTS and in my case ( and my sisters ) has proven to be effective in stopping certain HPOTS symptoms. I wonder if by preventing reuptake of norepinephrine it simply provides a balanced level that prevents the sudden spikes - 🧐

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

@p8d - I have asked that question myself and do not understand it either. It seems to make no sense - but I know that it is commonly used in treatment of HPOTS and in my case ( and my sisters ) has proven to be effective in stopping certain HPOTS symptoms. I wonder if by preventing reuptake of norepinephrine it simply provides a balanced level that prevents the sudden spikes - 🧐

Would you mind describing what symptoms were helped by Wellbutrin?

9 hours ago, toomanyproblems said:

Would you mind describing what symptoms were helped by Wellbutrin?

@toomanyproblems - it really helped a lot for high BP, energy, sleep - and it just simply put me in a good mood, not in a fog as some antidepressants do. My usually fluctuating BP became so low that I was able to go off some other BP meds 😲!!! It was one of the MOST effective medications for my symptoms and I am so sad to have had to stop taking it. I started breaking out with serious acne, sore and bleeding lumps all over!!!! I researched this side effect and it is rare and needs to be reported. Since stopping 😢 it has resolved. 

Bupropion also had these positive effects for my sister, who also suffers from HPOTS. I don't really know why it works so well but it dis for me!!!

It lowered and stabilized my BP back into normal ranges even in postural change. My HR was a bit higher but not too much. I felt less fatigue but it lead to insomnia (49% of people get it) and quite serious episodes of rage developing extremely quickly. Another unusual side effect.