Orthostatic Narrowing Of Pulse Pressure

ReginaH

Upon searching the forum, I find it shocking that this term never comes up, except in my introduction thread. Is it just that doctor's generally don't know to look out for this or is it a rarer symptom than I realize?

Can everyone who has a blood pressure monitor, who is reading this thread, take their blood pressure really quick while standing and let me know two things:
1. Your Pulse
2. The sum of subtracting your diastolic from your systolic
3. the % of your diastolic in relation to your systolic

Example:
If your blood pressure reading is 105/70
1. You have a pulse pressure of 35PP
2. You PP is over 34%

I want to see how many people have numbers between 0-25. or 0-25%.
Also, please state if you were sitting or laying down before doing this exercise. Thank you.

I don't have an exact number right now, but mine can get pretty narrow when standing up on occasion. Obviously, doctors have never been concerned. I actually had one in the ER that was 125/106 and the nurse said "what the h*** is that?". She thought it was a bad reading. I tried to convince her it wasn't, but she just threw out the reading and did it again a few minutes later and it was closer to normal. 

I think about this all the time because mine tends to be too narrow even lying/sitting down. I don't have a reading this minute but my systolic will often drop and my diastolic may go up upon standing. It's more often less than 30 difference no matter what. Recently I was at a rheumatologist appointment and my BP was 100 over 82 sitting. The nurse said good blood pressure or something like that. I said, well, there's not much in the middle. She didn't act like she knew what I was talking about. 

I'm not sure narrow pulse pressure (less than 30 difference between systolic and diastolic) is common. I have noticed some very narrow pulse pressures when I see TTT results on others so it may be a POTS thing. The least I've measured that I can remember was 12 with a BP of 52/40. 

40 minutes ago, toomanyproblems said:

I think about this all the time because mine tends to be too narrow even lying/sitting down. I don't have a reading this minute but my systolic will often drop and my diastolic may go up upon standing. It's more often less than 30 difference no matter what. Recently I was at a rheumatologist appointment and my BP was 100 over 82 sitting. The nurse said good blood pressure or something like that. I said, well, there's not much in the middle. She didn't act like she knew what I was talking about. 

I'm not sure narrow pulse pressure (less than 30 difference between systolic and diastolic) is common. I have noticed some very narrow pulse pressures when I see TTT results on others so it may be a POTS thing. The least I've measured that I can remember was 12 with a BP of 52/40. 

I just basically want to feel less alone because mine is, every single day, in a very low range. I think the lowest I've seen mine is 15 while standing.
I want to hear from others who experience this chronically, so I can find out if the prognosis is still good for me. I want to know if I can still live a long life if I keep getting readings of like 18 and 21 on a daily basis. I also want to see if others haven't thought about this and that if they did the measurements, it might actually be more common than people realize...
The example I gave in the OP was from a morning when I was laying down.

@ReginaH - a narrow pulse pressure is not uncommon in dysautonomia patients. You probably notice it more b/c you are not on any medication,s as you stated in your initial post. Also -symptoms are more important than numbers.  By that I mean it is more productive to judge your condition and tolerance by the symptoms you experience rather than what your numbers say.  I usually determine what helps by how much my orthostatic intolerance, fatigue, brain fog, palpitations etc improve. 

• 3 months later...

My b/p and pulse pressures are all over the place.  After starting Carbidopa my b/p were 150/130.  I am waiting to hear from my neurologist what he wants me to do, if anything.  The nurse was like "what kind of pressure is that.  My PCP thought it was a malfunction until it kept happening.

I've had POTS for 20+ years and my pulse pressure is always around 20 when standing.  My standard BP reading after standing 5 minutes is 100/80 whereas lying down it is 100/60.  When I'm in a flare it is usually about 15 and I have seen it as low as 11 so pressures of 18-21 wouldn't worry me!