Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Pistol

POTS & barometric pressure

I have been trying to figure out why POTS can worsen with weather changes ( as it does in my case ).  According to this article found online

https://migraineagain.com/feel-4-ways-barometric-pressure-affects-health/

I found that barometric pressure affects migraines, BP, blood sugar levels and joints.  It can cause vasoconstriction - and the drop in blood sugar can cause fatigue.  Most importantly the article states that when the barometric pressure drops it causes the blood viscosity to increase. That might be the clue - thicker blood will trigger POTS. This would explain why in some of us our symptoms worsen in certain seasons ( spring and fall in my case ). I usually experience a sudden onset of POTS symptoms like severe fatigue, BP fluctuations leading to syncope, increase in orthostatic intolerance … all improved by IV saline. This explains why in many of us IV fluids are so helpful - they improve the blood viscosity!!! 

I find this very enlightening and an explanation as to the reasons behind seasonal flares. -- I also have found that allergies cause flares in me due to the effects of histamine release ( vasodilation ), this includes seasonal allergies ( spring, fall ) as well as insect bites and rashes ( summer ). 

does this ring a bell for anyone?

Defiantly ! Stormy weather gives me migraines . I have allergies which induce asthma and facial swelling, rashes etc if I don’t remember to take my antihistamines. Last year I was a bug magnet and their bites lasted weeks , they never use to like me so something has changed in my body I reckon. 

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

I have been trying to figure out why POTS can worsen with weather changes ( as it does in my case ).  According to this article found online

Yes, low barometric pressure makes everything worse for me too. This is one reason I moved to the sunny southwest!